Kiln With A Plug For Each Zone

I'm considering moving into a group studio, and just yesterday went to view the place while it's still under construction.  The studio manager is lovely, but isn't a ceramic artist and doesn't know a lot about setting up a ceramics studio.  Kilns in particular.  I'm no expert myself, but have volunteered to help her figure it out.

She purchased a used kiln with a short cord and plug for each zone.  After a little internetting, this doesn't seem like a unicorn exactly, but I can't find any info on why a kiln would have this.  It also has the normal large plug I'm used to.  I didn't take a picture of it, so I don't know the make and model, but I could find out.

I guess I just have a couple general questions:

Is the multiple plug thing an option or a must?  In other words, does the kiln need to be plugged in at 4 different points (one in each zone, plus the big one)?  Why would this be preferable?  Could anyone point me to more info on this type of kiln?

i have one like this.  the short cords plug into outlets built into the main box where the big cord leaves the kiln for the wall.  it allows the kiln to be moved in sections so it is not so hard to get it up stairs and through doors.

my kiln is a paragon and it is still in the corner waiting for elements.  it dated back to the 1960s and is a common one from that time.  contact paragon, their tech expert will help you understand this even if it is not a paragon kiln.

It's not an uncommon design. Rather than have everything connect inside the control box, each section of the kiln is connected to the controller externally, with jumper cord. Like THESE models from L&L, their Jupiter line. It allows for easy unstacking to load large or heavy pieces into the kiln. It's not as clean an appearance as having everything hidden away inside the box, but it works just as well.

Archived