Meissen Porcelain Figurine Process

Mug

Are there any good how to books on the highly detailed porcelain figurine process? The high end figurines that are assembled from a 100 pieces.

I have a fairly good understanding of the basics and was looking for more advanced information on sculptural works of Meissen quality.

The porcelain they used is referred to as paste hard or soft, vitrified and not vitrified. It seems the cone temperature can be cone 6 all the way to the highest end for hard paste. Does hard paste or soft paste differ from regular porcelain slip or clay or is it just another name for the same thing. If it is different does any one know a starter recipe.

They seem to cast the objects solid, press molding or possibly slip casting. Would this reduce the sagging without support?

Do you think they use regular plaster for their highly detailed molds?

The artist at Meissen sculpt the final details after the pieces are assembled, They add texture and supper fine details that can not be included in the mold. Would the process of incising cause the porcelain to crack more as it shrinks?

• 1 month later...

Thank you, That makes sense.

There does not seem to be a whole lot of information out there on detailed figurine making. I like to sculpt highly detailed things, but my ultimate goal is to make a highly detailed sculpture that is repeatable by almost any one.

While waiting for a proper answer, you may be amused by these videos showing a little

of the process.

I would really love to know how they cast the inner 4 pieces of the 6-part mould shown at

about 1:54 in that video. [Especially how they did it without damaging a clay master.]

... the technical bit is from about 1:40 to 3:10

Regards, Peter

I have made multiple piece molds, but nothing like like the mold in the first video. I love the way the pieces lock together, but are all smooth pieces. They use a plastic master for their master mold. It would be a little easier to pull off with plastic when you make the mold. You could get a tighter part line. They have an awesome mold maker, I would love to spend some time with their master mold maker. Even their kiln furniture has style. It was nice to see how they prop the figure with style, when the fire.

I have never seen anyone wet down a cast sculpture with a brush to keep it from cracking. Would some one actually do that? I would think that keeping the sculpture in a controlled environment as it dried would make much more sense.

In the second video they made molds that were a little more akin to what I'm used to. Overall they are on a whole different level when it comes to detail. They make absolutely stunning pieces. I would beat down their door to work there if they were here in the US.

Thank you Peter for posting the videos. It gives me a little more to go on. Producing items of this quality is my goal. If I live long enough, I will get there.

For what it's worth I found this book helpful for general mould-making, as it covered

some things in more  detail than the usual references. For example: block moulds,

direction of mould-part withdrawal, multi-part mould issues. [bTW I suspect that block-

mould making is were the old-fashioned potters size/soap finish is really useful.]  The

book also showd an interesting plaster-based alternative to clay build-ups.

Plaster mold making and model making by Chaney & Skee

... if you're quick there's a 2nd hand copy going for $10

http://tinyurl.com/ox895db

I emphasise that this doesn't cover any of the issues specific to figurines, especially

how to decide which parts to cast separately.

Archived