Happy Holidays

Anthony, your work is tops! Looking at "Trust", it felt like I had 3D glasses on--really great effect. Take out dinner was awesome. Did you paint it with artist's acrylic paint?

Happy holidays back atcha.

Hello Idaho potter,

The pagoda design on the take out boxes were hand-drawn with paper clay slip over the bisqued pieces. It's one of the fantastic properties of paper clay that allows fresh slip to stick onto already bisque-ware. The depth of the design was build up with successive layers of slip. The work was then re-bisqued to "fuse" the design onto the sides of the boxes.

Glad you are enjoying the images.

Best regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all paper clay enthusiasts,

Wishing all a very happy and safe holiday season. Looking forward to another new year of paper clay.

I've been doing much research this year with paper clay and managed to get some new projects completed.

For my latest works, please visit my Flickr site.

Best regards.

What a pleasure to see your extensive collection of sculptures. On your sculpture, Terra Nova 2009, I really admire the black crackling on the outer shell. Can you share how that is accomplished? I'm a novice paperclay sculptor doing figurative work, but I'm leaning toward looser forms as I become more comfortable with the mediums of clay and paperclay.

Wishing you an exciting year in clay.....Jayne

Wishing all a very happy and safe holiday season. Looking forward to another new year of paper clay.

I've been doing much research this year with paper clay and managed to get some new projects completed.

Best regards.

What a pleasure to see your extensive collection of sculptures. On your sculpture, Terra Nova 2009, I really admire the black crackling on the outer shell. Can you share how that is accomplished? I'm a novice paperclay sculptor doing figurative work, but I'm leaning toward looser forms as I become more comfortable with the mediums of clay and paperclay.

Wishing you an exciting year in clay.....Jayne

Hello Jayne,

Sorry for the late reply.

Am glad you are enjoying my work in paper clay. As for your question on the hull, the texture is created by using the Van Gilden flashing slip on my green piece. It is brushed onto the green ware and then it goes thru the bisque fire. I use a combination of red iron oxide and manganese dioxide to "color" the hull. The excess oxide/stain is wiped off leaving the oxides in the crevices. The piece is then fired to Cone 10. The crackles you see is a result of the high fire. I did not use any glaze.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, please feel free to contact me.

Regards

Anthony

I wondered if you were using prepared paper clay or making your own.

Several years ago I tested the pre-made Southern Ice paper clay and it was fine,

so I wondered if you or anyone else used it regularly.

Hello Chris,

i've made my own Black Mountain paper clay. Here's the link to my blog on this "fun" process.

For my sculpture work, I use the Gault 10 paper clay from Aardvark. I've also used Aardvark's Papel Cone 5 Porcelain in a one-fire test.

I like the Southern Ice porcelain paper clay very much for its whiteness. I'm not sure if Laguna Clay is still carrying it. I use this Southern Ice porcelain paper clay quite a bit in my work.

Happy New Year 2011!

Best regards.

Beautiful! This is my first visit to the forum since before a very hectic family Christmas, and your post has certainly recharged my creative spirits - thank you Anthony and I wish you the very best of years for 2011

Archived