Sandblasting

ron

• 9 years later...

Why do you sandblast the porcelain off of crowns?  We never had to do this when I was a lab technician,  of course this was 48 years ago and the industry has changed so much since then.   I really enjoyed the work until I met some old retired technicians.  They were bent over,  thick glasses and had trouble breathing,  I decide then that I needed to college and get a degree.    They didn't have all the safety equipment we have now but it really scared me.  I started working at the lab after I finished Dental Assisting school,  I was 19 years old.   I quit at 25 and went to college on a ceramics scholarship.     Denice

5 hours ago, Lisa Roll said:

I’m finding that my vinyl gets shredded before the surface of my pottery even gets a mark. Any suggestions?

I’m using fine black coal from Tractor Supply, 100 PSI, 60 pound compressor, Cricut vinyl that I cut out using my Cricut machine

I gave up blasting for all those reasons and resort to chemical etch for super clean line etched custom stuff. If you can circut it into anything reasonably adhesive it is doable.

1 hour ago, Denice said:

Why do you sandblast the porcelain off of crowns?  We never had to do this when I was a lab technician,  of course this was 48 years ago and the industry has changed so much since then.   I really enjoyed the work until I met some old retired technicians.  They were bent over,  thick glasses and had trouble breathing,  I decide then that I needed to college and get a degree.    They didn't have all the safety equipment we have now but it really scared me.  I started working at the lab after I finished Dental Assisting school,  I was 19 years old.   I quit at 25 and went to college on a ceramics scholarship.     Denice

Sometimes a crown is changed to have metal margins, sometimes the stacking was bad, but we use it a lot to blast out the refractory from casting crowns too.

As a denture tech I use it a lot when I have to solder repair frameworks, nothing quite cleans a surface like sandblasting.  The solder mates so well like that.

Archived