Photo

A Few Glaze Problems, Drying To Slow... Not Enough Suspension.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 potterbeth

potterbeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:58 PM

Try mixing in some plain white vinegar, about 1/4 cup for a 5 gallon bucket. This has worked for me with a glaze that persistently settles out and does not appear to affect the glaze results. Eventually, the glaze will begin to settle out again at which time I add some more vinegar. Inexpensive and readily available. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything but a little time. If you don't want to try it with the entire bucket, take out a pint and experiment.

#22 LaBotteghina

LaBotteghina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

I am following with interest, I have watched the Britt video and while it's clear for a glaze that deadpan , it's not clear for a glaze that just thickens...i added sodium silicate and it gets thicker. I am dumbfounded. I read somewhere then when it thickens so much you can add more water, but Britt says it's a no no. I have tried Epsom salts too and the glaze already has 3% bentonite ...and it thickens ...Help?

#23 LaBotteghina

LaBotteghina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have tried vinegar too , By the way

#24 LaBotteghina

LaBotteghina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have tried vinegar too , By the way

#25 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

I agree, the 2nd glaze question still befuddles me.  Is her 2nd glaze over flocculated?  I have the same issues with one of my glazes, and tried the sodium silicate, with no improvement.

#26 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,640 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

If a glaze is taking along time to dry, it's holding a lot of water. Glazes that are high in clay content often have this problem, so do those high in feldspar sometimes. A deflocculant such as Darvan or Sodium Silicate will allow you to make the glaze fluid enough to apply without using as much water. This is why we deflocculate casting slips. It makes the slip fluid enough to pour in and out of the molds, but with a low water content so that it dries faster and shrinks less.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#27 LaBotteghina

LaBotteghina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thank you I will try again

#28 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

I ended up leaving the white glaze that took forever to dry because I liked it too much. Next batch I will probably try adding some sodium silicate to thin it out. Just figured out a way to get good coverage and no finger prints.

#29 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

What makes you think that the glaze is the correct "thickness' before you apply it to your pot? :rolleyes:

Perhaps it needs to have more water in it to start with. And slaked over night prior to usingand testing.

Test at varying Specific gravities  THEN,,

adjust with the flocculant/deflocculant depending whether it is a high clayglaze or other if still required..

High Bridge you asked whether the glaze formula mattered if it added up to 100 or not. If the guts of the glaze ie without the colourants and the bentonite (if added as an additive),  does not add up to 100 then you cannot just assume it can be used as written without first converting the amounts to a percentage of the total.

Soda Feldspar 51                    34.96%      (51/145.9x100)

Potash Feldspar 36.7

Quartz 25.5

Dolomite White 2

Whiting 18.9

China clay 2.6

Ball Clay 9.2

Total          145.9                     100

Iron Oxide 11  Would remain at 11 as this is an additive and for a iron rich glaze about normal .

And so on! :) DO the maths!!!

Apologies if some one has already answered This part, but didn't read that.

SO in this instance  Soda Feldspar  for this recipe would be   34.96

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users