Sign in to follow this  
Flowergirl3365

Considering Getting My Own Kiln

I'm considering getting my own kiln, but I know next to nothing about how to operate one, where it needs to live while not in use...nothing!  I belong to a city operated studio for a very nominal annual fee where we can have everything fired at no additional cost, so it might be difficult to justify the cost. I'd like to find a "Kilns for Dummys" type book to learn more....is there such a thing?

Go to Big Ceramics Store.com and their FAQ's. There is a mountain of free, easy to understand info there on everything.

Also do a search here, many Q's about how to start firing. But do a lot of careful shopping before buying, they are expensive. Ask yourself many Q's about what you want to fire and how often. A kiln too big for your amount of work will make your results take forever to see and learn from.

Marcia Selsor likes this

I am seeking info and pointers just as FlowerGirl3365.

I knowing nothing about kilns yet.

But, I do have a brand new kiln sittng in my garage :)

Right now, I am the process of researching as much as I can before I get that installed.

I have been pricing materials and labor for the electrical work that needs to be done first.

So, while trying to make this happen sooner than later, I am super anxious to sweat my a** off coming summer in the little shed in the backyard!

Thanks for the info so far. I will follow this thread.

I'm considering getting my own kiln, but I know next to nothing about how to operate one, where it needs to live while not in use...nothing!  I belong to a city operated studio for a very nominal annual fee where we can have everything fired at no additional cost, so it might be difficult to justify the cost. I'd like to find a "Kilns for Dummys" type book to learn more....is there such a thing?

If you want a copy of our ceramic kiln manual, I will mail it to you. Just email your address to me. A lot of research went into the manual, and most of the information is general.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

ChenowethArts likes this