Paper Clay Slip And Underglaze

Pugaboo

I have a question I hope those if you that use it can help answer. I have a sculpture that took me over a week to make and almost month to dry slowly. I was getting ready to paint on the underglaze decoration when I noticed a very fine hairline crack across the tip of one ear, all I can think is it got bumped at some point and I didn't notice it. I whipped up my first ever batch of Paperclay Slip, thank you everyone for posting your recipes! I used toilet paper, some of my dry clay body, a bit of water and some vinegar to make a thick slurry. I brushed this on the ear inside and out in several layers allowing it to dry in between. Now that it's dry can I clean it up and paint underglaze on it like I was planning to? Or should I gently clean and smooth the area bisque it THEN paint on the underglaze?

Thanks for your help!

Terry

I am with Chris on this.  I have used my joining slip recipe to build up areas and then underglazed them before going to bisque.  I have also knocked off a piece and reattached it using the joining slip, saving a lot of work.

John

Thank you everyone. I have brushed on several layers of the Paper clay slip drying between and have painted on the underglaze and it's drying. Since it was still damp when I loaded the kiln it's going to have to wait until the next kiln load to see if it survives the firing process.

Terry

Archived