Getting A Kiln Delivered

You are right, getting service to the garage totally a whole new subject that I didn't think of. I would like to have a business...but at this point I have some cobwebs to dust off.  I live in an old house that was updated to 150amps but we have gas everything and no central air/no future possibility of central air.

Let me reiterate and emphasize what others have said : Find out EXACTLY what is included in the purchase price in terms of delivery and set up.  A friend ordered a kiln and was shocked that there was no liftgate to lower the kiln to the ground.  Further, the truck driver refused to lift a finger (insurance restrictions, he said) to help my 4'11" friend.  She had to build a ramp out of boards she had in her yard and then get the kiln down the ramp by herself, then move it 40 feet to her studio.  I don't know where you live, but I just ordered an Olympic from Carolina Clay Connection in Charlotte NC, and for a $150 charge, CCC will deliver the kiln in a small truck (very important if you have a long, twisty driveway like mine), unload it, set it up, and hook it up to the electrical box.  I consider that $150 well spent.  Check and see if you can get similar service. 

Truck drivers are truck drivers. They are hired to drive the truck. They do not touch the load unless you have ordered that service and they are trained to do it. The vast majority of the freight in this country is delivered to companies with loading docks and fork lifts. Lift gate service is an unusual situation.

Receiving freight is very different than UPS or FedEx. Whomever your friend ordered the kiln from should have asked if she needed a lift gate. This is also one of the many problems with ordering a kiln via the internet. A lot of information needs to be discussed with the customer before delivering a kiln. People often order the wrong voltage, wrong phase, wrong delivery service, etc, when they don't speak with a knowledgable seller.

Again: call Sheffield: We have out own truck and offer inside delivery: our driver has set up 100's of kilns !

It is cheaper if you and hubby can be his assistant in carrying the rings separately if needed.

The driver (with your help)  brings it in, assembles where you want it, attaches the vent if needed, reassembles the control box if it had to come off to get it in, and gets rid of the packing materials if you don't want them.

Usually just adds $100 to the delivery cost.

It's a great way to go rather than be scratching your head, looking at your new kiln getting rained on in your driveway wondering how are we going to get the thing in.

Hire a furniture mover. Our studio is on the 4th floor and there is no lift in this building :)

2 guys showed up, picked up the kiln like it was nothing and few minutes later I opened a studio door for them. Done!

I've got to disagree with you a little on this. More than any other cause, I see serious damage to kilns done by people moving them who don't know how to move them properly- movers, janitors, maintenance guys, electricians, etc. People who don't work with kilns do not realize how fragile the bricks are. All it takes to break some bricks is to set it down crooked/uneven. The only way you should let a mover handle the kiln is if you can supervise the moving and make sure they understand the fragility of the bricks.

Sectional kilns should never be moved while assembled. They are designed to be moved in sections. I would never trust the handles to hold the weight of the entire kiln. If the handle gives way-CRASH!

can attest to this, neil.  during construction of my dream house, my kiln was outdoors, covered and safe until one of the guys running the backhoe thought he would help me out by putting it inside the garage for me.  this was after i had threatened anyone who touched it with instant death.  he knew the machine could lift it!

Dude, lets dial down on FUD, thank you :) Those guys move pianos and furniture, that cost way more than this kiln. All you have to do is tell them what is going on and let them do their job. Kiln was on the pallet and nothing happened to it. It was never even tilted. Sure, you can invite your friends, who are probably way more clueless, when it come to moving heavy fragile stuff (0 experience, no proper tools etc etc etc).

Archived