Electric Kiln

Hi everyone,

I've just ordered my first electric kiln and although it comes with it's own programmer and preset programs I don't understand how the programs are set up, as in time and temp for, say a bisque fire  or glaze firing. Is there info or a particular book that sets out programs and how to fire the kiln with your own programs?

What about in the owner's guide that should come with it?  I ended up calling the tech guy for my new kiln for the same info.  I chose not to use the presets because I wanted different temps and speeds.  All the pre set went faster than I wanted, and I was taught in school to use the Ramp- Hold programing .

Hi everyone,

I've just ordered my first electric kiln and although it comes with it's own programmer and preset programs I don't understand how the programs are set up, as in time and temp for, say a bisque fire  or glaze firing. Is there info or a particular book that sets out programs and how to fire the kiln with your own programs?

Most of the controllers sold in the U.S. use two firing modes: Cone-Fire and Ramp-Hold. Cone-Fire is simpler, because you enter mainly the cone number and firing speed. If you want, you can even enter Pre-Heat (to dry the ware in the kiln), Hold (which keeps the kiln at the cone temperature for the period of time you specify), and Slow Cool (to enhance certain glazes).

Ramp-Hold allows you to enter a program that is completely within your control. Do you need to fire faster or slower than the standard speeds in Cone-Fire? Then use Ramp-Hold. Or suppose you want the slow cooling phase to begin at a particular temperature or to vary in rate. Then use Ramp-Hold.

Jennifer, see if you can download the instruction manual.

I know with my L&L kilns there are dozens of pages telling how to do everything from write a custom program for crystal firing to doing 15 minutes at 500 degrees for a pizza. I have yet to try a crystal firing. :D

Archived