Unglazed Clay Functional Ware

Natania

I have noticed a bit of a trend of glazing white clay functional pieces on the inside only. I like the look, but won't the outsides of the pieces (which remain unglazed when finished) become dirty and grubby-looking after a few months of use? Am I missing something? Doesn't this draw-back significantly impede its functionality in terms of aesthetics? What do you think?

Hi

I have adopted that trend for only my porcelain Cone 6 or higher where I know the body has vitrified, I wet polish the outside of ware with silicon carbide papers because I love the smooth eggshell finish of a polished piece.  

Yes it can still get grubby after a very long time but I use a green scrubby pad with a fine pumice powder cleansing liquid (I don't know US proprietry brands) and it cleans them up nicely.

I glaze inside and out for earthenware and stoneware bodies..

Irene

I didn't realize it was a trend either. I have made many a yunomi, guinomi, with only inside and lip glazed , and even more with outside only partially glazed.

The contrast of unglazed clay, with glazed clay is pleasing visually, but rewards greater in tactile perspective.

Archived