#1 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Ugh I messed up. Very early this morning I set my kiln up for a glaze fire. I think in my sleepy stupor I accidentally set my kiln sitter up with a 06 cone not cone 6. The reason I think this is because it normally takes 8 to ten hours for my kiln sitter to flick off but when I went to check on it at about 6 hours it was off. I was very confused at first but i am now rethinking my steps and realized what I've done. I can not for the life of me see the cones I set up to monitor so that won't help me

What would you more experienced potters recommend I do. Leave it to cool and then set it up again tomorrow or manually reset and put it on high for the last 2 to four hours?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

#2 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:29 PM

Ugh I messed up. Very early this morning I set my kiln up for a glaze fire. I think in my sleepy stupor I accidentally set my kiln sitter up with a 06 cone not cone 6. The reason I think this is because it normally takes 8 to ten hours for my kiln sitter to flick off but when I went to check on it at about 6 hours it was off. I was very confused at first but i am now rethinking my steps and realized what I've done. I can not for the life of me see the cones I set up to monitor so that won't help me

What would you more experienced potters recommend I do. Leave it to cool and then set it up again tomorrow or manually reset and put it on high for the last 2 to four hours?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

I don't understand how you can manually reset the kiln sitter without letting it cool so that you can put a cone 6 in it.

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#3 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

When I push the button down it stays down. Even if the latch isn't up. . . Now you have me wondering, Is that not supposed to happen?

#4 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Oh and I wouldn't put a cone in it I would just go by time . . .

#5 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I think too much time has passed so my timing would be off . . . ill just retry after it cools thanks anyway.

#6 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

If you had the correct witness cones in the kiln I would keep the same ones in for the next firing to ^6, they have already had some heatwork like the pots have. If not I wouldn't worry about it, just put a ^6 or ^7 (which ever you usually use) in your sitter and start again. The heatwork effect of a ^06 on ^6 clay isn't going to be much. I wouldn't have gone just by time fired in the first place. 

Min

#7 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Thank you Min, that info helps a lot.

#8 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

I can restart mine just by pushing the button even with the cone down. Just let it cool. Open it up and see what happened.

Marcia

#9 Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Thanks Marcia,

Everything was as fine as Min said it would be. I've restarted, this time with the proper cone in the sitter. :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users