Firing Advise Please

Ugh I messed up. Very early this morning I set my kiln up for a glaze fire. I think in my sleepy stupor I accidentally set my kiln sitter up with a 06 cone not cone 6. The reason I think this is because it normally takes 8 to ten hours for my kiln sitter to flick off but when I went to check on it at about 6 hours it was off. I was very confused at first but i am now rethinking my steps and realized what I've done. I can not for the life of me see the cones I set up to monitor so that won't help me

What would you more experienced potters recommend I do. Leave it to cool and then set it up again tomorrow or manually reset and put it on high for the last 2 to four hours?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Ugh I messed up. Very early this morning I set my kiln up for a glaze fire. I think in my sleepy stupor I accidentally set my kiln sitter up with a 06 cone not cone 6. The reason I think this is because it normally takes 8 to ten hours for my kiln sitter to flick off but when I went to check on it at about 6 hours it was off. I was very confused at first but i am now rethinking my steps and realized what I've done. I can not for the life of me see the cones I set up to monitor so that won't help me

What would you more experienced potters recommend I do. Leave it to cool and then set it up again tomorrow or manually reset and put it on high for the last 2 to four hours?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

I don't understand how you can manually reset the kiln sitter without letting it cool so that you can put a cone 6 in it.

Jim

If you had the correct witness cones in the kiln I would keep the same ones in for the next firing to ^6, they have already had some heatwork like the pots have. If not I wouldn't worry about it, just put a ^6 or ^7 (which ever you usually use) in your sitter and start again. The heatwork effect of a ^06 on ^6 clay isn't going to be much. I wouldn't have gone just by time fired in the first place. 

Min

Archived