Photo
- - - - -

Adding A Photo With This New Software-Its Easy & Attaching An Image (Combined)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

I hate to get folks into more than they are used to, but in this case maybe some more about resizing & saving digital images. If you use any of the photoshop famiy(Photoshop or Photoshop Elements) or The Gimp(open source free download), these features can be easily found. Find the menu item on image size usually under the main header-image. Here you will find a window indicating imagpe heiight and widoth and image density. You may not be familiar pwitph the size descriptors but there is a drop down list to change to standard or metric. The image density also may be changped-for most images here-80 should be fine. By changing these 3 attributes you should be able to manipulate your image size. One more thing-the little chain or lock icon connecting width to height means whn one measurement is chaged the other will change proportionally. Don"t turn this off by clicking on it unless of course you want to have some fun!

As to saving, I usually save these types of images as jpeg's with moderate to high resolution. Re-editing a jpeg more than once is bad as something is lost evertime saved. I never save over an original as I might need a much higher resolution image for juries or archive. I save these as RAW or TIFF format. So save your forum image as jpeg with moderate to low compression under a new name than the original. Hope this helps.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#42 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'm a big fan of photobucket, personally- gets you around the size limit among other things...

Not all who wander are lost

#43 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

if you understand photobucket, please talk to me.  i tried to post photos of my house so i could sell it.  photobucket took my carefully captioned and ordered photos and tossed them into the air so the first picture anyone sees is one of the bathrooms.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#44 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

if you understand photobucket, please talk to me.  i tried to post photos of my house so i could sell it.  photobucket took my carefully captioned and ordered photos and tossed them into the air so the first picture anyone sees is one of the bathrooms.

I don't know photobucket but I went to their website and searched the help section and they have a possible answer to your question about photo sorting. Here is a link to their answer:
http://support.photo...on-Photobucket-

I hope that helps if not give me a call and I'll see what I can do to walk you through the steps suggested to ge the photos in the order you want.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#45 Rebel_Rocker

Rebel_Rocker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

this guy will be out of the high fire kiln by friday

Attached Files

#46 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

I've mostly used Photobubucket to host larger images that I can subsequently direct link on another site (like this one). Although I know that you can set up albums and such in Photobucket, I've never tried to use it as a direct portal. The images are arranged in the order that I post them.

Not all who wander are lost

#47 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

thank you, mart. i do not know how to get the picture to the point where it will fit on here. they always come out too big. they are in picasa and i need to make them fit.

how did you get that nice picture of your screen with the red circle?

I use ksnapshot and then edit in GIMP(The GNU Image Manipulation Program)
If your images are in Picasa, you can probably resize your images and then download the smaller ones.
If it's not possible in Picasa, use something like http://www.picresize.com/ etc (see https://www.google.com/search?q=resize)

#48 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:01 PM

thanks for the suggestion.  will try it soon, not tonight.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#49 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

It is really easy. But you should reduce the size of the jpg to 72 dpi and not larger than 50k.
I have removed early pictures because my allotted space was 80% used up and I keep the jpgs small.
marcia

DPI affect only how your image is printed so you do not really need to mess around with this parameter.

What people need to do, is to decrease the width and height (measured in pixels, forget "mm" or "inches")
Modern monitor resolutions are usually 1024x768 pixels and more. Lets be correct and not call it monitor size but monitors resolution. ;) If your image is 4000x3000 pixels, less than 1/4 of your image will fit on my screen, unless I use "zoom out" or or something similar.

Mos cameras save images in various sizes (resolution), from tiny 640x480 (you do not want that!) to 4000x3000 (12 megapixels and way above that) My camera can spit out images at 4752×3168 (15.1 megapixels) and 20+ MB a pop if RAW is used. Those need to be resized to manageable resolution.

For forums, web sites and e-mails, I like to stay below 800x? What I mean by that, my image width is usually 800 or less pixels. This can be linked to larger image but usually this is not necessary.

There are tons of simple image management and altering applications for Linux, Mac and Windows.
I personally use DigiKam for image management (organizing) and also for quick modifications.

For more complex manipulations, GIMP will do the trick. (I use only Linux. I can not help you with any Microsoft Windows or Apple only products (aka DRM infected crapware).

For most of you it's probably really annoying that this simple function, re-size a image, is not available in this forum software.

Do be hones, currently available "More Options"->"Browse"->"Attach File"->"Add to post" work-flow is also unintuitive and cumbersome. "Browse"->"Add to post" should be enough.

#50 lindaw49

lindaw49

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire UK

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi 

just found the photo attach button so does this work? This tray cracked in firing but I still like it.

Linda

Attached Files

#51 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

your test images 39.8 kB. The current maximum allowed is 2.3 kB which is not enough for more than a dot.  please reset it to someplace around 55 or 60 kB, which is about where it used to be

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#52 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Not to be different, but my screen resolution is 1920 X 1080 on a 23 inch screen. Homebuilt computer. 

Gimp is one of the better editors out there, fact that it is free is just a side blessing. You can find quite a few books on it, I have a few of those.  As the program has a good support community and is open source most of your questions can find answers on line.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users