7 replies to this topic

#1 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

I just made a bunch juicers and I am trying to figure out why they all got pattern cracking on them. It is like a multiple s shape at the cone of the form. I did dry them in the sun (which I have only recently begun doing with some things). Not sure if that is the culprit. I am wondering if this is an issue with how I am making the form. Any ideas?

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,013 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

I just made a bunch juicers and I am trying to figure out why they all got pattern cracking on them. It is like a multiple s shape at the cone of the form. I did dry them in the sun (which I have only recently begun doing with some things). Not sure if that is the culprit. I am wondering if this is an issue with how I am making the form. Any ideas?

Pictures would help. Air drying in the sun is not an advisable thing on new forms.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Attached File  20130625_1919021.jpg   1.9MB   98 downloadsAttached File  20130625_1917401.jpg   1.76MB   92 downloads

Here are the shots. The method I used was to throw them from the same bat and add the stripes and "spout" while on the wheel. I moved them to a board and set the board outside. At leather hard I trimmed them on a foam lined chuck and set them back outside to dry.

#4 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Oops! Sorry about the ginormous pictures. lol

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

Any time you close in a form like that you stand a pretty good chance of getting cracking on the inside like that. Try to make sure it's not overly thick where you close it up, and compress it well. Drying slower might help as well.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Thanks. I think I will try just a few the next time and dry slow.

#7 kathi

kathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

In addition to drying them more slowly, try rolling a small ball of clay ind pressing it into the peak of the juicer from underneath. Blend it in with your finger and compress well. I do this to prevent cracks in this type of shape and it always works.

#8 Frankiegirl

Frankiegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

In addition to drying them more slowly, try rolling a small ball of clay ind pressing it into the peak of the juicer from underneath. Blend it in with your finger and compress well. I do this to prevent cracks in this type of shape and it always works.

So simple - Yes! I just don't want to waste time on a trouble form, but that is a great idea. The cracking is right along the stress lines where the collaring was done so I think this will work nicely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users