06 Majolica base glaze

Val

I run a women's project in Namibia ( Africa) We have had so much trouble with our clear glazes over underglaze that I am switching to Majolica style using Stoke and coat. It's so expensive to ship from the USA, so I thought maybe I could at least make the base glaze myself, although I am a complete newbe to glaze making ! We primarily make beads, so a brush on glaze is preferred, but we could adapt if necessary. Oh and the preferred temp. for stoke and coat is cone 06........it can go higher, but any dimensional is lost . Thanks for any help

Val

I have a recipe that is for firing at cone 04, stroke n' coats will lose none of their color at ^04. This recipe can be brushed to dipped, try to keep the application thin though.

Linda Arbuckle Majolica:

frit 3124 65.8

F-4 feldspar 17.2

EPK 10.8

neph sy 6.2

+ tin 4

+ zircopax 9

+ bentonite 2

Marcia,Iforgot;

Why have you /she got two soda spars in the recipe? Could you go with 23.4 of one or the other? I have Neph Sy, I do not have Kona F-4, but I could probably get it.

TJR.

I have not used this glaze, but was thinking about mixing up a batch.

T.

I have a recipe that is for firing at cone 04, stroke n' coats will lose none of their color at ^04. This recipe can be brushed to dipped, try to keep the application thin though.

Linda Arbuckle Majolica:

frit 3124 65.8

F-4 feldspar 17.2

EPK 10.8

neph sy 6.2

+ tin 4

+ zircopax 9

+ bentonite 2

thanks all. Don't think we have liquid starch but maybe I can mix some. Is it way too soft otherwise?

Dear Val,

I have just used this recipe decorating some pots on the weekend. I must say, all and all, I was very, very pleased with the results.

I bisqued some redware to cone 04 and actually did the glaze using the Arbuckle to 04.

Yes, it is soft if what has been meant is that when you attempt to paint on the form, it is dusty and can pull the glaze of?? Not sure if that is what is meant by "soft."

I used a little glycerin to make my colors run more readily. I used commercial majolica glazes on my work.

But all and all, the glaze was great.

It performed as expected.

My greatest learning from this glaze at this point is that it is "all in the dip." You don't want drips on your work so your work must be exact in how you dip your vessels into the glaze. With beads, you should be fine.

Sounds like a great project.

Nelly

• 1 month later...

Archived