3 replies to this topic

#1 smokin pots

smokin pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Does anyone have any good tips on stamping pottery? I can't seem to meet at the same point I start at. If I start in the middle of a bowl and work my
way around I never end up in the right place. More like a wavy line instead of straight. Thought about shining a laser pen on my pot and working in
a level circle around, but a level lasers cost $$$. Any good tips would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
la paloma texas pottery

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:03 AM

With your potters or banding wheel turning slowly, make a very light line with your needle tool.
Then make your first stamp ... turn the wheel and make your second directly across from it ...
make the next stamps halfway between those two marks and go on from there with stamps
evenly spaced ... Lightly rub out any of the original needle tool line that still shows.

Is this any help?

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
www.ccpottery.com

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 smokin pots

smokin pots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

Thank you! Yes, this does seem to work.
la paloma texas pottery

#4 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:25 PM

Thank you! Yes, this does seem to work.

Looks like you found a good method yourself I actually like to use one of those inexpensive coordinate lasers one can get at Home Depot for hanging stuff on walls for about $20, gives me a horizontal and a vertical line I can put anywhere. That combined with a graduated disk allows me to make exactly dimensioned repeating designs. There is an old saying that 'When the student is ready the master appears" sometimes the master is within.

Regards,
Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users