Making slip

Glen Peters

Hello

Being out of the game for 25 years I cannot recall how to make slip! I have a small blender --Can I get away with just adding wet clay and water???

And how critical is it to use slip made from the same clay when attaching by score&slip?

I intend to do mostly raku firings... The clay I'm using matures at cone 6 but It's unlikely I'll ever get that hot? Any other slip tips appreciated

Thanks

Glen

For ordinary, hand building slip purposes clay and water in a blender will do fine.

If you do slip casting you need a specific recipe.

If you want to decorate with it you might need additions to help with shrinkage and cracking.

As to attaching with the same clay slip ... yes, that works very well and is easy to do with bits of dried clay ...

but you can also just use vinegar & water to get a tiny bit of slurry on the surface.

Thanks for your answers

And, if I may, I have another question --I have quite a bit of clay that was frozen, some of it has sat untouched in a warmish (60degre) environment for several years, some of it I thawed last month only. What would help to recondition it or can I just go ahead and use it?

Thanks for your answers

And, if I may, I have another question --I have quite a bit of clay that was frozen, some of it has sat untouched in a warmish (60degre) environment for several years, some of it I thawed last month only. What would help to recondition it or can I just go ahead and use it?

Just go ahead and use it. I don't know what kind of reconditioning you have in mind, but unless it has dried out, all it probably needs is to be well-wedged. Freezing doesn't harm clay in the bag anymore that it does in the ground.

Jim

Hello

Being out of the game for 25 years I cannot recall how to make slip! I have a small blender --Can I get away with just adding wet clay and water???

And how critical is it to use slip made from the same clay when attaching by score&slip?

I intend to do mostly raku firings... The clay I'm using matures at cone 6 but It's unlikely I'll ever get that hot? Any other slip tips appreciated

Thanks

Glen

Glen,

The blender is perfect for making instant slip from dry scrap of whatever clay body you are using at the moment. The main feature is you can control the viscosity easily by add small amounts of water to go from brush painted to sprayed slip for whatever job is needed.

If the clay is designed for Raku it is probably loaded with sand/grog so it will eat up the blades in your blender like liquid sandpaper. However, blenders can be found down here at yard sales for a few bucks. You should have no problem with assembly using slip made from the clay body. Good luck with getting back into clay.

John255

post-23753-136189977734_thumb.jpg

post-23753-136189977734_thumb.jpg

Archived