Steven Hill Glaze

Iforgot

Hey World,

I was reading this awesome article by steven hill about reduction look glazes at cone 6 in an electric kiln, but the firing schedule was for a kiln with a computer, and i have a manual kiln, how should i do this, i attached the recipie for the glaze and the firing schedule, thanks!

Darrel

post-13052-135856627568.jpg

post-13052-135856632195_thumb.jpg

post-13052-135856627568.jpg

post-13052-135856632195_thumb.jpg

Its going to be a crap shoot at best but you WILL need a digital pyrometer and lots of time to babysit the kiln with a clock and a clear head. With your manual switch kiln try and recreate this schedule. every time will be an gamble on results.

I suggest trying your own glazes and schedules with what you have. You may find the results could be great and they will be yours.

Mark

I suggest trying your own glazes and schedules with what you have. You may find the results could be great and they will be yours.

Mark

Bingo. Every show I go to has at least one potter making Steven Hill pots. While they are beautiful, they are just copies, and show very little creativity and certainly don't represent the personality of the potter. So if you do decide to use his glazes, figure out a way to make them uniquely yours.

Guest JBaymore

Instead of shutting the kiln completely off when the firing cone is down, turn all the elements to low for a couple of hours. See what you get. Likely you will be happy.

best,

.............john

Archived