Feels good.........

ayjay

I'm only a hobby potter and have never tried to sell any of my items. The community centre where I take my evening class has recently repaired a large glass fronted cabinet and we were offered this for a two week period to display and sell stuff, so about a dozen items were rooted out and taken along for sale.

After the first week over half of mine had gone (and some of the others items too), I did overprice (maybe) one item that I didn't particularly want to part with and it wasn't sold, but it feels good to know that someone was prepared to part with cash for some of my pots. B)src="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif">

I did however discover one possible reason for the unsold item previously mentioned - it had been displayed upside-down!

How could they?

Hopefully you can tell which way is up.

post-7271-135611912575_thumb.jpg

post-7271-135611916562_thumb.jpg

post-7271-135611912575_thumb.jpg

post-7271-135611916562_thumb.jpg

I can see the dilemma. Having the 'points up' even though there is more of the glazed surface exposed, is rather conventional and chunky. Having the 'points down', as feet, has a very interesting center; the piece appears lighter in weight and the exposed clay surface holds far greater interest. The 'points down' orientation is better without the glaze. The entire piece would be far more interesting without a glaze. IMHO

I can see the dilemma. Having the 'points up' even though there is more of the glazed surface exposed, is rather conventional and chunky. Having the 'points down', as feet, has a very interesting center; the piece appears lighter in weight and the exposed clay surface holds far greater interest. The 'points down' orientation is better without the glaze. The entire piece would be far more interesting without a glaze. IMHO

Sometimes I can roll out a slab of clay or chuck a lump on the wheel and have no idea where it's going until it gets there, this piece however was in my head right from the off - but I'm looking at it differently now and I'm going to make another one - but upside down this time - with glaze - but a dry sculptural type glaze rather than something colourful and glossy. Thank you for setting my brain working - it doesn't get too many outings these days.:Dsrc="public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif">

Nice piece, Ayjay! I tend to be drawn to strong clean forms. Good job!

Marcia

What can I say? From someone with your portfolio that's probably my best Christmas present this year, thank you.

haha nice.

I actually made a similar piece a week ago but someone in the studio chipped a corner off for me so I made another yesterday. Fun form to make, I actually thought about how it could make a cool planter form upside down when I was working on it..

Obviously someone else saw it and thought that too wink.gif

Well, I'm glad I made mine first! :Psrc="http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif"> It can be very frustrating sharing space with others, I try to be very careful placing works in our damp cupboard, but you can come back a week later and the piece has been shoved into a corner and edges bent or worse. -- but anyway, I've since had another idea for something similar, (well, an upside down one anyway) but thrown.

The guy who set it upside down also thought it was meant for displaying flowers or something similar. It's a little surprising as he makes pots and has the largest collection of pots I've ever seen outside a museum.

Here's a pic of one wall in his house, all the other walls are the same.

It is a nice pot and it's hard to believe that anyone would display it upside down. It would be nice to see more of your stuff in your profile gallery.

Jim

Thank you; it's possible that it's a wind-up (not on my part, but the guy is a bit of a joker), I expect I'll find out in the New Year.

In his defence if he really did display it upside down, he never hand builds anything and only ever throws pots, therefore all his pots have a hole at the top.

I'll try and take some pics soon.

Archived