#1 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Given some of the feedback that I got on my swirl flush potters wheel, I've abandoned my prototype and moved on to some more practical ways of getting my throwing area organized.

I found that I was spending a lot of time looking through plastic containers and lumps of clay for the right tool. I decided to glue 6 mm X 3 mm Neodymium Grade N42 magnets to my tools so that they would stick to the edges of the steel shelves that are on three sides of my wheel. I just bored a shallow hole, slightly smaller than the diameter of the magnet, in each tool. I filled the whole with epoxy and pressed the magnet in place. I got 40 of these magnets on eBay for eight dollars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#2 aperhapshand

aperhapshand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCountryside, IL

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

brilliant. thank you for sharing!

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Doc,
I love it. I have forty+ years of tools and I even sold a big box of tools by the hand full at a garage sale when I was moving from Montana to Texas.
I built a storage container with cubicles. But THIS is Brilliant. Thanks you. I may put a metal strip near my wheel and install magnets in tools. I hate wasting time looking for things. I like to have a lot of my tools visible and this is a great solution.

Marcia

#4 Darcy Kane

Darcy Kane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Locationnorthern New Hampshire

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

My husband installed two dishwasher utensil racks by my wheel. Trimming tools go in one and throwing tools go in the other. It is working pretty well and I can take them down and hose them off if I need. I like the magnet look though, looks like how Martha Stewart hangs her knives.

#5 Mossyrock

Mossyrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I utilize 5 magnetic bars in my studio and can attest to them being one of the best additions I've ever made. I have one attached to the table by my wheel, one on each of two sides of the workstand beside my slab roller, one next to my extruder, and one on the side of my handbuilding table. I've picked them up at Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and Lowes. I also have one on my flower potting table for my trowel, pruning shears, a knife, and anything else that I need to keep handy. I have them in the shop for holding tools I use the most. They are wonderful organizers and perfect for keeping things where I can find them. Some are stronger than others, but most will work for pottery tools.
Brenda Moore
Mossy Rock Creations
High Point, NC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users