glaze firing w electric kiln

I use a shelf on the top of my top loaded shelf to help even out the occupied space and hold heat.

When I was firing crystalline glazes and holding for a while, I found that "6" next to "hi" would hold it. You will have to test

and see. Infinite switches will allow you to find the right setting. If you just have low, med, and high, you may find it more

difficult. As Neil says, you'll need a pyrometer.

Marcia

I use a shelf on the top of my top loaded shelf to help even out the occupied space and hold heat.

When I was firing crystalline glazes and holding for a while, I found that "6" next to "hi" would hold it. You will have to test

and see. Infinite switches will allow you to find the right setting. If you just have low, med, and high, you may find it more

difficult. As Neil says, you'll need a pyrometer.

Marcia

I have often wondered how this could be done also. I understand what your saying about adding an extra shelf to hold the heat and using a pyrometer. But, with my skutt kiln sitter, once the kiln has reached the desired temp it auto cuts off. To restart the kiln you have to add a cone? Or is there another way I am not aware of?

-chantay

To restart the kiln once the sitter has shut off, just lift the weight, push in the power button and very gently lower the weight. It will stay on. The other option is to use visual cones on the shelf and just watch them to see when you need to start cooling. Put a cone in the sitter that's a couple higher as a backup.

Archived