Bunching of clay in a slab roller

In the pottery studio of the wonderful non-profit Pentwater Artisan Center, I'm using the big Shimpo slab roller, but I often have a problem. It works fine until I get down to a centimeter thickness, and then suddenly it will jam because there's a big ridge of clay in the middle of the slab. We use pieces of cotton sheet along with the canvas, but i don't think that's the problem. Does anyone know what's causing this? I crank it down just a fraction of a cm at a time. Maybe it's not meant to produce the thin slabs that I'm trying for, because this doesn't happen until I get it rather thin. Any suggestions?

I suggest using slab mat or canvas-instead of sheets they grip better.

You can call the slab mat women in Colorado and get her seconds-just get the next size larger then cut the second part off to your size.

Mark

In the pottery studio of the wonderful non-profit Pentwater Artisan Center, I'm using the big Shimpo slab roller, but I often have a problem. It works fine until I get down to a centimeter thickness, and then suddenly it will jam because there's a big ridge of clay in the middle of the slab. We use pieces of cotton sheet along with the canvas, but i don't think that's the problem. Does anyone know what's causing this? I crank it down just a fraction of a cm at a time. Maybe it's not meant to produce the thin slabs that I'm trying for, because this doesn't happen until I get it rather thin. Any suggestions?

To make really thin slabs use a "spacer" board under the canvas. A piece of 1/4" plywood works well. It is hard to separate the thin slab, from the canvas, plus the texture is a problem. Use Tyvek instead.

Sounds like the slab is hanging up on the cotton. Before sending it through on the problem thickness, pull the cotton off the slab then lay it back down, flip it and do the other side. I can roll slabs down to 1/32†doing this with canvas.

i agree that the clay is sticking to the cLoth causing it to bunch. I use slab Matt's too. I just got another material in Austin from Armadillo but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I use a 30 " slab roller with dual rollers and change direction by 90 degrees every so often to reduce the stress. I make large slabs 25 " and they don' t warp.

Marcia

Archived