respirators

centered

Hello, After reading much information on the web and on this forum I am still confused as to what respirator to us for spraying glaze, mixing glazes and using ferric chloride.

I just bought a mask at Home Depot that is by MSA Safety Works It says multi-purpose meets OSHA and NIOSH P100. it says for applying pesticides, working near asbestos and spraying paint. The removable cartridge has a number 4410 on it. Since I am not spraying pesticides, paint or working with asbestos I am not sure if this is a safe mask to use. I also wonder if it is safe to spray outdoors in a box without a vent. I would appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Centered

Hello, After reading much information on the web and on this forum I am still confused as to what respirator to us for spraying glaze, mixing glazes and using ferric chloride.

I just bought a mask at Home Depot that is by MSA Safety Works It says multi-purpose meets OSHA and NIOSH P100. it says for applying pesticides, working near asbestos and spraying paint. The removable cartridge has a number 4410 on it. Since I am not spraying pesticides, paint or working with asbestos I am not sure if this is a safe mask to use. I also wonder if it is safe to spray outdoors in a box without a vent. I would appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Centered

The mask is fine for spraying glazes. If outdoors why the box. I spray outdoors with the wind when there is any.

We have a EH&S Respirator Program and out of all their different types of personal filtration systems - they suggested, unless we're wearing for hours every day, that we use the disposable 3M, N95 respirators in the 8210-style. They are rated for catching the fine particulates that typically go airborne when mixing clay or glazes. We don't spray too often (because of size of work) but when we do it's inside a ventilated spray booth while wearing the mask. I believe you can sometimes find the 8210 respirators in the drywall section of some hardware stores - I always order them through a vendor like Fastenal (discount).

• 7 months later...

for a mere 17.95 you can buy a new, Finnish military surplus gas mask rated for dust and vapors! I bought mine with the specific purpose of using certain.....highly toxic, slightly radioactive, materials...

Anyway, this is way cheaper than any respirator i can find, it might look kinda scary but it would even work for the vapors coming off a soda or salt firing.

I am not sure about advertising stuff on here (as in the website to get these for cheap) so if any of ya'll want to know send me an private message.

Or iof an admin out there can tell me it is ok, ill post a link

-Burt

Archived