Oven use

astan

Is it safe to use oven to warm pieces to reglaze or to ensure green ware is dry to fire or bisque dry enough to glaze after cleaning? I was told no but also have seen seen many people post that this is what they do. If it is not safe , please explain rationale.  I am only talking of heating to 200 degrees. Thanks

It’s not the best as if it’s gas fired part of the combustion byproduct is water and there is that carbon monoxide thing. In an electric, I guess it’s ok but either way glazes often contain things you would not want in your pot roast.

Rewarming a fired glazed pot will not leave residue in your oven,  do not put it in the oven with unfired glaze on it.   Drying greenware in it will leave some residue and you also take a chance on getting grease on it.  I have found that putting the piece in front of a fan works.   The microwave will also warm  up a  glazed pot quickly,  I have a C7 set of dishes I made 10 years ago.  I try to not put them in the microwave but sometimes I am desperate to heat up my coffee.   I would probable put some liquid in it if I was going to try the microwave.   Denice

anan, you might be referring to my posts where i say i use the oven to warm glazed ware enough to have it accept glaze.    i have been doing this for years and have only used the lowest temperature my oven can go, 170 degrees F.    yes it may be in some way dangerous for ANY reason, but i cannot imagine what it would be.  residue in the oven??? how would that happen?  one hundred and seventy degrees is too hot to handle without a towel and if i only use pot holders, the pot is cool by the time i get it to the spray area. 

on hot days, putting pots in the sun will warm them enough to accept a new layer of glaze.  they only need to get hot enough to make handling them uncomfortable. 

i have been told that "doing it for years is like walking on the edge of a knife and i might fall off at any moment."

it is true that everyone has a different threshold of fear on different subjects.   maybe i am just too stupid to be afraid.

I've attempted to hurry up drying mugs in the oven before a bisque, but it never goes well. I wind up with cracking every time.

If you're heating a glazed and fired pot in the oven in order to add more glaze (in a seperate area) to fix a flaw, I don't see that as being different than baking in a finished piece.

I would not put raw glaze materials where I put food, and I don't have food where there are raw glaze materials: it's bad studio hygiene. I do rinse bisque in the kitchen sink, but that's because I don't have a better option.

In terms of drying rinsed bisque, I just leave it overnight for the most part. 

Due to a glazing error, I had to wash off a large number of mugs once: to dry them out I put my kiln on the lowest setting and let them warm up slowly and dry out in there. You can program your kiln for lower temperatures than your oven if you have a controller.

Archived