Smithsonian Craft Show 2019 / April 25-28 / Washington DC

GEP

Smithsonian Craft Show 2019
April 25-28, 2019
National Building Museum
401 F Street, NW, Washington DC
https://smithsoniancraftshow.org

This is the most prestigious show of American crafts in the country. Not bragging, it’s objectively true. This event is a giant fundraiser, run entirely by volunteers. Since 1966, it has raised over $12 million for the Smithsonian’s museums, libraries, and research facilities. Not to mention how much it elevates the craft world. The show will feature 120 juried craft artists chosen from over 1100 applicants, including the following lineup of ceramicists:

Brian Beam
Bennett Bean
Marvin Blackmore
Michael Dickey
Steven Hill
Bill Jones
Dave Kim
Lynda Ladwig
Cliff Lee
Katherine Maloney
Thomas Marrinson
Courtney Martin
Ernest Miller
Lindsay Oesterritter
Irina Okula
Hideaki Miyamura
Gillian Parke
Mea Rhee
Jerilyn Virden
Jim Whalen

If you are not local to DC, there is an Online Auction element to the show. Auction begins at noon on April 24. Again, all the funds raised will support Smithsonian programs. http://www.smithsonianauctions.org

There be a Good Elephant in that line up!

,)

I'm looking to contribute "thank you" gifts to local public radio, silent auction items for local bicycle advocacy group, and items for sale benefitting local non-profit resource center in their office with tags on'm, ready t'go out of next firing an' each thereafter as well. 

21 hours ago, Hulk said:

There be a Good Elephant in that line up!

,)

I'm looking to contribute "thank you" gifts to local public radio, silent auction items for local bicycle advocacy group, and items for sale benefitting local non-profit resource center in their office with tags on'm, ready t'go out of next firing an' each thereafter as well. 

We”ve had discussions on the forum about donating our work, and how often artists get asked to give away their work for free. In most cases, a polite “no” is the right answer. But there are events where the factors all line up correctly and donating is worth your time. If the cause means something to you, then do it! 

I do pro-bono development consultation for small  non-profits as a way of "giving back", and keeping myself engaged with work I like to do, like proposal writing for grant-seeking, and helping small entities with their bylaws, board development, protocols etc. This is what I am hoping to be able to do for the NH Potters Guild, under the new leadership. The other thing I do, since I don't give cash donations (except $5 a month to Amnesty International) is donate most of my ceramic "smalls" (catch-alls, trays, tea light holders) to fund raising events that benefit certain organizations that are not getting much in state/federal dollars to do their work, like local/community-based resources that help people in difficult situtaitons.  Feels good. I like Hulk's idea of contributing "thank you" gifts also.

• 2 weeks later...

great to see you at the smithsonian show.    love the crab and gingko platters. 

saw  lots of other potters whose work was also wonderfully different from the ordinary.  

i could hardly believe some of the work.   the man who used blowing trees as handles for lids on his work had a piece that had to be 3 feet tall and was a perfect slab pot with square corners.  the young woman whose work was displayed on plain birch plywood over sawhorses certainly did not need a fancy booth display, the pots spoke for themselves.   so much beauty wherever i turned.

it was a treat to see all those fabulous things in one place.

Archived