L&L Genesis Control Initial Firing

robinelise66

Hi,

I just received my new e18t L&L kiln and had them upgrade the controller to a gemesis touch screen.

The literature for the dynacontrol controller (stock controller) states that the initial test firing is a slow bisque at cone 5 (not 05) and should last 12-16 hours.  

The Genesis instructions say use a fast glaze 04 for 4 hours unless mfg says differently.

Mfg can't seem to answer my question.  How do I program the Genysis controller for this initial firing and which firing setting should I use?  Genysis settings or dynacontrol?

They say you must do this empty to create the oxidation needed on the bricks...

1 hour ago, robinelise66 said:

Hi,

I just received my new e18t L&L kiln and had them upgrade the controller to a gemesis touch screen.

The literature for the dynacontrol controller (stock controller) states that the initial test firing is a slow bisque at cone 5 (not 05) and should last 12-16 hours.  

The Genesis instructions say use a fast glaze 04 for 4 hours unless mfg says differently.

Mfg can't seem to answer my question.  How do I program the Genysis controller for this initial firing and which firing setting should I use?  Genysis settings or dynacontrol?

They say you must do this empty to create the oxidation needed on the bricks...

You need a long slow firing to set the mortar in the lid and floor, and to build up a layer of oxidation on the elements that will help to protect them. Do a slow bisque to cone 5 with a 3 hour preheat. It will take 15-19 hours. The firing has nothing to do with the type of controller, it's for the elements and bricks.

32 minutes ago, Karen B said:

The manual should be updated for the Genesis. For such expensive and sensitive equipment it seem just negligent of L&L not to have an update. 

The manual that L&L sends with the Genesis controller is written by Bartlett Instrument Company, who makes the controllers. It is not written by L&L, but is an add-on to the L&L manual, which is very extensive. The Genesis is not made for L&L, but is used by several kiln brands. In the first firing instructions from Bartlett it gives an example of how to program the kiln for the firing, but specifically says to follow the first firing instructions from the kiln manufacturer if they are different. In the L&L manual there are specific instructions for the first firing. 

Although the L&L manual addresses the setting for the first firing, the instructions are placed in with the instructions for the dynatrol intergace which I didn't purchase.  (Hence my caution to fire differently)

I have made a suggestion to L&L to pull these out to not be under a specific controller but standalone "first firing instructions"

Archived