Glaze dripping off of pots

I have used a  (grey) glaze for awhile and the last 2 firings (cone 6) it has dripped off of my pottery. It is the overlapped layer on the lip of my pots. The first layer dried overnight prior to dipping in the second (grey) layer to the lip. I make my own glazes and they have always worked well for me. The temp and amt of hours that my kiln is firing has always been approx the same. Perhaps an extra 5 minutes to hit the temp lately. I hate to switch the elements if I don't have to.  One other glaze has recently slipped off and pooled on my kiln shelves as well. (That situation was my first color... the color on the lip stayed put). This all may be confusing, but thanks for trying to follow it! Thanks!

Margie

Well if your glazes have been fine until just recently my thought was that maybe the thermocouple reading is off on the controller.  If it's overfiring by a cone or two it might cause a glaze that previously didn't drip to drip.  Using witness cones will just verify that it's reaching the desired cone and eliminate that as a possible cause.

On the bisque side it would be the opposite.  If your kiln isnt reaching cone 04 (or what you normally bisque to), it could be absorbing way more glaze than you're used to, causing you to accidentally over glaze.

Thank you so much.  I have a show Wednesday night. I am not attached to the pots that are going in my last glaze firing, but would you suggest trying  less of a hold? Right now I have an eight minute hold.  I just dipped the second layer while the first layer was still slightly wet. 

Archived