What paint can I use?

jbehr

Hi jbehr,...Welcome to the Forum...What do you plan on using the plates for? If they are finished plates and you plan on using them as decorative pieces, you can paint them with pretty much anything that will stick to them. If you are planning on eating off them...fugettaboutit! I'm guessing the former in this case...let us know.

JohnnyK

If you are decorating plates you can eat on, you can paint in underglaze, which comes in a wide range of colors.  If you do one coat it looks more like watercolor, and if you do three it is opaque usually.

In the US there are many places where you can go to paint on plates and they fire it for you. The places where I live use as "paint" something called Stroke and Coat, which comes in a vast range of colors. I used to take my kids twenty years ago. 

When I paint for a food safe surface, I use one of the commercial underglazes, like Amaco Velvet Underglaze, and then I apply clear glaze over it- three coats. If you do an internet search for amaco underglaze, you will see the options. I think you will find everything other than metallic.

There are metallic glazes (rather than underglazes) that indicate that they are food safe if applied properly. They are intended to be spread on rather than for applying fine lines.  If you look up Amaco Potters Choice you will find colors of gold, silver, and copper. You need to check the label for food safety info, because some are food safe and some not.  They are extremely runny, so not for fine lines.

Thank you so much Johnny, Rex and Gabby, that is beyond helpful.  I was thinking of starting with plates for my wall and then moving on to replacing all our boring white plates in the cupboard with more colourful ones.  I live in the UK but usually we have very similar brands to the US so I'm sure I will find those here. Will do more research on that as my toddler will be eating off those plates too. 

And Rex, those fish look amazing, I hope I will once get as good results as that. 

I'm guessing I can mix underglazes too to create new colours?

Thank you so much!

Jasmin

Archived