What kiln furniture do you prefer for plates glazing?

I'd like to know your preferences for plate setters for electric kilns (Cone 6, mostly).  Info that will simplify finding and ordering them would be appreciated.

I think I'd prefer setters that provide solid support (shelves) for the foot ring rather than those that hold the plates in a few spots only.  But your hands on experience with any type of setters will be much appreciated anyway.

Thank you.

Mike

I use the rectangular ones, which are a perfect fit for my plates.

Yes, the shipping is going to be expensive. Kiln furniture is heavy and breakable. Anytime you buy it long distance you can expect high packing and shipping costs. For me, they have earned their keep and then some! 

Better to go to a local pottery supply store to save money!  This is the only hobby I've had where everything is more expensive online (and I mean 2-3x the cost). Even if I lived another 3 hours away from my pottery supply place it would still be worth it to drive there just for clay!  Bonus is they (at least at my place) can usually answer questions like this at the same time because they're all professional potters as well.

19 minutes ago, MichaelP said:

Actually, I called a local supply, but the guy didn't know what plate setters were. ;)

Neil, do you think the Evanston guys can order setters sold by Bailey's if I send them a link or a picture?  Any other local resellers you could suggest?

Sometimes you have to get past the schlub who answers the phones haha, I have the same problem if I call up.  "Huh? We don't have anything called ball clay, we have something called a ball mill though!"

My local supplier, which I consider excellent overall, doesn’t carry plate setters either. (They also don’t carry Core-Lite shelves so I had to buy those online too. The shipping was $$ but again, the product still paid for itself. )

I’m pretty sure Bailey only wants to direct sell with their own products. I don’t think you can get a discount through a distributor (I could be wrong). So check out the options, but if buying direct is the only option, I would still get them. 

11 hours ago, MichaelP said:

Actually, I called a local supply, but the guy didn't know what plate setters were. ;)

Neil, do you think the Evanston guys can order setters sold by Bailey's if I send them a link or a picture?  Any other local resellers you could suggest?

No, they won't get Bailey stuff. I would call Standard Ceramic in Pittsburgh 412-276-6333 and see if they have them. If they do, then Ceramic Supply Chicago can get them in with their clay. BTW, they're now in Elk Grove Village just west of the airport, not Evanston. It's a lot easier to get to now.

Archived