advice/tips on my new kiln :)

killacarly

I have finally decided to set up my own personal studio and recently bought a used kiln in great condition per my professor's advice. I am used to using my professor's gas kiln at my university, so I'm not very knowledgeable on electric kilns. I know it'll be a lot of trial and error, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for getting started. Thank you:) 

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 11.27.07 AM.png

Looks like that model came with a blank ring (no change in draw) or "extension ring" - which raised the draw from 27 to 40 amps, hence, my guess is you need to supply 27 amps + the required margin.

Any road, forum regulars will likely mention:

a) run only with proper/correct wiring

b) run with adequate ventilation

c) run with at least minimum clearance to combustibles, fire extinguishers handy, and monitor closely

...also, carefully vacuum it out beforehand. From there, looks like no numeric control on that? Either way, place cone packs on each level, and expect to learn by doing the first few firings; if you don' have a thermocouple/pyrometer, get one.

Skutt support is generally very good; give them a ring, should any questions come up. You should be able to get full docs on that model.

Archived