Underfired Bisque?

Hi all, 

I just did my first bisque firing (cone 04). Loaded my kiln - witness cones on all shelves (03-04-05), and 2 hour ramps Low -Med  2 hrs Med to High. Kiln sitter (cone 04) kicked off at 1970 degrees after 8 hours. When I opened the kiln none of the witness cones are bent (melted) and it seems the bisque ware is not fully fired. (color isn't really white) using white stoneware. (Standard 240 with grog). Very disappointed for my first kiln firing. Did I loose this whole load or do I re fire? I am glaze firing to cone 6. (Well thats the intention). Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks

Laura

IMG_1274.png

You have not lost a load, you can refire as much as needed to meet bisque temp. Set a witness-target cone where you can see it through a peep, and refire. Run your program, and if it shuts down, add more time. Keep a close watch on the cone.

best,

Pres

1 hour ago, laurab said:

kicked off at 1970 degrees after 8 hours

How did you determine the temperature? For self supporting cones like you used and looking at an Orton cone chart for fast firing 1970 should have taken you to cone 04. Does your kiln have a timer with the kiln sitter that was set to 8 hours? What does the cone in the sitter look like? Is it bent?

2 minutes ago, Min said:

How did you determine the temperature? For self supporting cones like you used and looking at an Orton cone chart for fast firing 1970 should have taken you to cone 04. Does your kiln have a timer with the kiln sitter that was set to 8 hours? What does the cone in the sitter look like? Is it bent?

The temperature was read with a pyrometer. The kiln sitter cone which was an 04 cone bent and kicked off the kiln at 7 1/2 hours. I have a timer on my kiln (its manual) and I set it to 8 hours.

Did you by any chance have cones on the shelf that below the sitter and if you did how do they look? Large manual kilns can fire unevenly. I would go by the cones more than the pyrometer, the cones show heat work, the pyrometer just shows temperature. I would check the calibration on your sitter before your next firing. How to do that here, it doesn't take long and it's fairly simple to do. For electronic kilns with only 1 thermocouple it's placed at about the middle of the kiln. 

18 minutes ago, Min said:

Did you by any chance have cones on the shelf that below the sitter and if you did how do they look? Large manual kilns can fire unevenly. I would go by the cones more than the pyrometer, the cones show heat work, the pyrometer just shows temperature. I would check the calibration on your sitter before your next firing. How to do that here, it doesn't take long and it's fairly simple to do. For electronic kilns with only 1 thermocouple it's placed at about the middle of the kiln. 

none of the witness cones bent. I thought I calibrated the kiln sitter, but will check again. thanks

Archived