relocating kiln

D.M.Ernst

The art room where I work is being remodeled and  the kiln will be moved thirty feet from one end of the room to another.  It will remain in the room during the renovation which will last three months.  What suggestions do you have for moving the kiln without damaging it?  What should be done to protect it from dust and dirt?    It is a 10 cu. ft. electric.  Thank you.  Donna

It's always best to move it in sections, especially with a kiln that size. Just make sure it's sitting solid without rocking wherever you put it. Use shims under the feet of the stand if necessary. You can cover it with a sheet to keep the dust off. Don't use a plastic tarp, because that could build up moisture under the tarp. 

Just a thought but if the floor is flat and you have the kiln plus probably a bunch of other heavy things to move then it might be worth renting an air sled / glider. Boards between the underside of the kiln and the floor to fill the gap under the stand. Kiln would be moved as one stable unit and would slide into place.

are you planning to put it back together (I mean just the sections). I would. We've moved ours around a bit but always in one piece when stored and they have held up well. They always seem to pick up a chip here and there no matter how hard you try.

One thing I would say though is that folks that  don't know anything about kilns will not get it and slam something on top not even thinking about it, They also will just try to shove it out of the way like its a solid one piece shelf,  i would make sure none of the workers are around the kiln or you might walk into some guys hanging around your kiln and using it like a break-room table. 

Excellent points Stephen!

I would definitely make sure you are present for the moving, or at the very least go over everything with those moving it.  I would also post a sign on it, while it is being stored, so nothing is set on it, or against it.  Said sign could include a replacement price tag, to illustrate your point.

Archived