Sign in to follow this  
Natas Setiabudhi

The use of titan and rutile

Generally, Titatium Dioxide would be used as an opacifier, but doesn't work as well as Tin or Zircon-based opacifiers. Rutile is typically used as a colorant, for buttery yellow colors in oxidation, and sometimes grey in reduction. The greatest benefit of both is that they tend to grow crystals in glazes, which is a good way to create matteness, or just add interest to an otherwise boring glaze.

Generally, Titatium Dioxide would be used as an opacifier, but doesn't work as well as Tin or Zircon-based opacifiers. Rutile is typically used as a colorant, for buttery yellow colors in oxidation, and sometimes grey in reduction. The greatest benefit of both is that they tend to grow crystals in glazes, which is a good way to create matteness, or just add interest to an otherwise boring glaze.

Thank for replying. How about the amount for both in glaze mixture? Because when I used rutile 15%, the glazed became pinhole and little bit harsh. Was it rutile effect? :rolleyes:

Rutile glazes in reduction fire (thats my area of experience) can be problematic with pin holing

I have used a rutile base glaze for many decades by the ton and have seen my share of pinholes-Firing schedules-reduction amounts-glazing procedure-dusty dirty bisque ware can all be factors .

I like tin and zircon to opacify over Titanium Dioxide as noted above

Mark

Rutile glazes in reduction fire (thats my area of experience) can be problematic with pin holing

I have used a rutile base glaze for many decades by the ton and have seen my share of pinholes-Firing schedules-reduction amounts-glazing procedure-dusty dirty bisque ware can all be factors .

I like tin and zircon to opacify over Titanium Dioxide as noted above

Mark

Okay thanks