Cone6 scratch resistant base glaze

Yomama

Hello to all,

I would like to get some help with developing a very strong, durable, scratch resistant base glaze (both glossy and matte) that take oxides and stains well. 

I am planing on making myself some floor tiles for my flat and would want to have a glaze that won’t get scratched if I have some stones in the sole of my shoe. 

Don’t know if you are familiar with Mohs scale of hardness... I am aiming at Mohs 6 or 7 hardness. 

Hopefully someone has done it already and is willing to share :)

Thank you. 

Thank you both for your answers. 

I read a lot of articles on the internet. Most of them on Digitalfire. If I understood correctly boron is a good melter and makes clear glass but it isn’t the best choice for hardness. It’s advised to keep the boron as low as possible (but enough to melt the glass properly - the higher the firing temperature the less boron is needed). 

I also read about magnesium and its matteness in glazes and aparently addition of zircon silicate also adds to hardness and gives opacity and white color. 

I’ve tried glazes called G2926B, G2916F and G2934. You can google them. They are all very good glazes and quite durable but not enough for floor tiles I’m affraid. 

Did you try the G2934 glaze mixing in a clear glossy? I did a line blend and came out with clear glossy 40% and G2934 60% that is really hard - cannot make it cutlery mark. I used my version of clear glossy but I'm sure using Tony Hansen's clear will work. 

It is also more durable than Soda Lime and Low Iron glass. On the Mohs scale of mineral hardness which rates a diamond as 10 and chalk as 1, borosilicate comes in at 7.5 and the other types of glass at 6. Borosilicate can be heat strengthened, but it cannot be safety tempered because of its low expansion properties.        from the Pyrex website.

apparently Mr. Hansen and I are discussing two different things. Onward....

T

DhPotter thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give it a shoot. 

Glazenerd that’s actually a very good info for me. Do you happen to have any recipe for borosilicate glaze? Should I just try making one with gerstley borate? What do you think?

Archived