antiqueing affecthttp://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/17890-antiqueing-affect/

roycsr

My Mom started "doing" ceramics in the late 1960's.  She did the painting technique that she calling antiquing.  She would apply a coat of  paint to  bisque. Before the paint would dry, she would use a damp sponge and wipe off most of the paint off the high areas but leaving  paint in the valleys. Like on a face. The eye area that is indented would be painted but the end of the nose would not.  The inside of an ear would be painted but she would wipe off the paint on the lob and the top of the ear.   Then apply a clear coat and fire. She did this techinque on a nativity set.  It looks like an old dust family antique. My question is what kind of paint do I use to do the base coat?  Unfortunately,  Mom passed away and took this techinque with her. I would like to complete the last of her ceramics projects.  Thanks

Assuming she was actually using glaze, not paint, you would do it just as described. It would take a few applications (in the same areas) to be thick enough to fire nicely, so don't wipe off the first coat and stop there. Do it again. If you wipe gently it should be fine. If you don't like it, you can remove it (lightly wash it off, then let the bisque air dry a bit) and start again. You can also use things like Q-Tips or slivers of sponge or brushes to fine-tune edges or clean off little areas where you don't want the glaze. If you have the means, you might make a few textured pieces and bisque them or buy some blank bisqued small pieces from a local do-it-yourself ceramic studio (the ones with pre-made pieces that people glaze there, for fun). Any shape would serve that has ridges & valleys, letting you practice the technique a while before you work on the legacy project.  Make sure the glazes you use are correct for the clay body.  Ex. You don't put a low-fire cone 05 glaze on a mid-fire cone 6 clay and get good results. They need to fit together for what you are doing . Welcone to the Forums! 

If you look online at youtube, you will see demos of this practice using commercial underglaze  It isn't called "antiquing," as I have seen it.

If you search for Applying underglaze," you will find demos.

I like Lee's ideas of practicing on some bisque from a paint-your-own place before working on your mother's stuff.

• neilestrick changed the title to antiqueing affecthttp://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/17890-antiqueing-affect/

My 2-cents worth is to visit the online sites of  major ceramics materials vendors (or any ceramic supply shops that may be in your locality) and look at their sample tiles for glaze color and effects, application details etc.  Just off the top of my head, you might start with this, which is a satin (not glossy) glaze, perhaps in the ballpark of what you are looking for. You will have to shop around to see what's out there.   https://www.amaco.com/products/glaze-hf-12-clear-satin   

Did you inherit your Mom's kiln and dried-up glazes too? Many of those glazes can be reconstituted with water, or you can maybe see what brands she used. If you just have the bisque ware, I would also suggest a trip to your local paint-it-yourself ceramics shop with a piece of bisque and a finished piece whose surfaces you want to replicate. They can direct you to underglazes or stains that are similar and show you how the various glazes look when fired. Of course, if you get your glazes from them, they will be able to fire your work too.

Yes, I inherited above the above.  We donated the kiln and some of the bique to an organization by the name of Achievement House There are located over at the and developmental disabled adults. . When I contacted the were just being a ceramics program and were in need of a kiln so it found a new home.  As for the dried up glazes, I learn from Mom. She over 200 jars paints!!! Some with the tag 55 cents. But some have no label at all so i going to paint some bique with the label less jars of paint.  After it is fired, if the item is now red., the jar will be labeled  "JBR Red " JBR were my mom initals.   

Archived