How to open Venco wheel

I've had two Venco in 40 odd years Never had to crack it open,  stuff accessed from beneath.

Sealed bearing beneath steelhead. Have replaced wheelhead  as I bought first second hand but can' remember process... hope the links helpful. These wheels are workhorses.

Why do you want to crack it?

Ring the company.

Cheers

Yeh upside down is the go.

Greased bearings?, think it's the drive cone??

Got accesscthere to other potter's?   Pottery supply store techs sometimes v helpful 

Is Liningen approachable?

Venco may be worth a call.

Could be bearings but could also be the drive mechanism.

Look out for the redbacks....

Once it spins it's  perfect....could it be the pedal mechanism if only at start?

Wheel and pan riveted together.  Wouldn't crack that , last pos scenario.

Some folk advertise servicing these wheels. If not in your area may be willing to chat with you

Written like a true pioneer:-)()))

I'm not gutsy enough

Then there's the prob. Of wheelhea shaft going through solid splash pan with sealed bearings....Can' think of That Neil....do you do service trips to Aust.?

21 minutes ago, Babs said:

Written like a true pioneer:-)()))

I'm not gutsy enough

Then there's the prob. Of wheelhea shaft going through solid splash pan with sealed bearings....Can' think of That Neil....do you do service trips to Aust.?

I'll come down there, but it'll cost you 4 plane tickets and a beachside condo.

Hmmm maybe a new wheel would be cheaper  or you could apply to do an exclusive artist in residence summer. Queensland or western Australia..fishing better in the West.....

But your long summer vac doesn't sync with summer here but I will keep it in mind:-)

No need for these drastic measures.  :P

I have used these wheels since forever.  Yes they are always easily and quickly serviced from underneath,  no need to rip them apart.   Parts are regularly available, and they last for decades.  The Volkswagen of pottery wheels we say out here in Perth (where these wheels are actually manufactured).   Not the most luxurious but very sturdy.  

Brendan if you Message me privately I can send you the contact info for the guy everyone uses to service these wheels here in Perth, or tell you where to get parts if you want to have a go on your own.

on the fishing, hard to say....they catch some pretty big fish up in Queensland....but our sunsets are surely better?....

Hey I can fix it this fall bring it up to Bali-I'll be there diving for two weeks.I'll bring my industrial can opener.

Or if you like you can set me up to dive with the whale sharks and I will come to your place after the Bali gig.

Dream on mark though the whale shark experience is not to be missed. And you're not interested in the White pointer experience??

Curt is just protecting his spots for fishing!!  Catch and release is the go eh? or just enough to eat straight away..

Hope Brendan is still reading...

Babs I have done the white pointers (great whites) in Guadalupe Island Mexico in 2005 in cages.Been there done that.Plus the water was 100 foot visibility .

Seen my share of whale sharks as well but pets is ground zero for that.

And that wheel needs to be fixed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

From paul Holland on a Facebook forum. 

The small spring goes from the stopper tube welded to the motor base plate. (it's usually got a rubber end cap that prevents the motor travelling too far when not being used. There's a small hole at the back of that tube that the curved end of the spring fits into. The other end of the spring fits over a screw in the underside of the slip catching pan about 50mm from the drive wheel axle. It is designed to keep firm contact between the Cone and the vulcanised rubber on the drive wheel.

Archived