1980's, 1990's, 2000's Archive Cds

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sherman

Has anybody heard any rumors of of these years Ceramic Monthly archives being published on CD's??

AndyL,

We do not currently have those decades available on CD, but they have not fallen off of our radar. Part of the question for us is whether or not to make them available on CD or go straight to an online option. Both have associated costs and technological hurdles, and both have functionality issues that are both good and bad. For instance, CDs can only be searched one at a time, and you're buying content you may never look at or need, while an online archive could be searched in its entirety, and possibly delivered on a per-article basis, so you only buy what you are looking for.

I know this goes beyond what you were asking, but there are a lot of puzzle pieces involved, all of which have the potential to fit together in some very exciting ways. Stay tuned!

Sherman

I'd rather have the CD since it stands alone independent of the internet. Browsing thru a CD for me would be easier than online. Plus there are situations and locations I won't have access to Broadband routers or even Dialup. Why not be Solomon and do CD's & Online??

Guest Sherman

AndyL, that is certainly one of the issues we struggle with. One nice thing about digital publishing is that, once you have all the information translated to 1s and 0s, the sky seems to be the limit. Of course, that introduces one of the most difficult things about digital publishing, which is the right interface for delivering and navigating that content. I'll put your vote in the "CD" column. Thanks for the post!

Sherman

• 5 weeks later...
Guest JBaymore

AndyL, that is certainly one of the issues we struggle with. One nice thing about digital publishing is that, once you have all the information translated to 1s and 0s, the sky seems to be the limit. Of course, that introduces one of the most difficult things about digital publishing, which is the right interface for delivering and navigating that content. I'll put your vote in the "CD" column. Thanks for the post!

Sherman

Sherman,

One thing to keep in mind in the decision making process is that not everyone has fast internet connections. That is a huge issue for some people. The rural USA is woefully underserviced in this regard. I have a fast DSL line... but I am rare in that out in the country.

Why is it an either/or decsision? Maybe both options to cover all the bases.

best,

..............john

Guest Sherman

Sherman,

One thing to keep in mind in the decision making process is that not everyone has fast internet connections. That is a huge issue for some people. The rural USA is woefully underserviced in this regard. I have a fast DSL line... but I am rare in that out in the country.

best,

..............john

Good point, John. Sometimes it's easy to forget that not everyone is hooked in to a T1 line.

It's not necessarily a straight-up either/or decision, but it's a bit like making your current body of work in both earthenware and stoneware. Sure, they're both clay, but I don't need to tell you how different they are from the perspective of the potter. Each format we pursue requires us to handle the content again from the very beginning. I mentioned above that the sky is the limit once the content is digitized, but I only meant that many things become possible, not that any of them are necessarily easy or cheap. Whether it's a CD sent through the postal system, or digital packets sent through a fiber-optic line, each has a separate set of technical specifications, workflow organization, file size and configuration limitations, navigational structures, and a host of other things. That said, we'll try to determine what will likely be the most useful format in the long term and begin there, with the idea that we can add formats or channels (call them what you will) as we go. The end game may very well include all formats, from CD to DVD to online to mobile apps to print---aaahh, the ideal world awaits!

Sherman

• 3 weeks later...

Recently there has been several references to Ceramics Monthly articles from the 90s and early 2000s.

Some type of access to this information is needed. I gave away decades of CM after buying the first 3 cds after talking with Ruth Butler when she was at CM.

I thought the rest of the archiving on cds was going to follow shortly.

SO is there a timeline when this information in whatever form will be available?

• 4 months later...

Recently there has been several references to Ceramics Monthly articles from the 90s and early 2000s.

Some type of access to this information is needed. I gave away decades of CM after buying the first 3 cds after talking with Ruth Butler when she was at CM.

I thought the rest of the archiving on cds was going to follow shortly.

SO is there a timeline when this information in whatever form will be available?

Sherman, It's been awhile since I askked the question but I was curious. Has there been any progress on making these CD's available in the coming year? I'm very interested in CD's since I don't always have access to the internet.

Sherman,

best,

..............john

Good point, John. Sometimes it's easy to forget that not everyone is hooked in to a T1 line.

It's not necessarily a straight-up either/or decision, but it's a bit like making your current body of work in both earthenware and stoneware. Sure, they're both clay, but I don't need to tell you how different they are from the perspective of the potter. Each format we pursue requires us to handle the content again from the very beginning. I mentioned above that the sky is the limit once the content is digitized, but I only meant that many things become possible, not that any of them are necessarily easy or cheap. Whether it's a CD sent through the postal system, or digital packets sent through a fiber-optic line, each has a separate set of technical specifications, workflow organization, file size and configuration limitations, navigational structures, and a host of other things. That said, we'll try to determine what will likely be the most useful format in the long term and begin there, with the idea that we can add formats or channels (call them what you will) as we go. The end game may very well include all formats, from CD to DVD to online to mobile apps to print---aaahh, the ideal world awaits!

Sherman

Interesting comments all. I know from my standpoint I am very fortunate in having a high speed DSL line even though I am in a very rural area but that is only because we are in very close proximity to a node. Dial-up was an absolute nightmare here before. That being said I know that my preference would be a searchable database online with the ability to buy specific material and download if via a Portable Data File (pdf). I would imagine that if the files were online as pdf files then it might be fairly easy to compile and sell CDs in the pdf format from the database.

Anyway it will be a nice resource to have whichever way you decide.

Bests regards,

Charles

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about CDs from the decades you mentioned, but last month I got a Ceramics Monthly archival CD on Ebay that cover the entire 1960s decade, and it is spectacular! Crisp clear images (wa-aa-aaay better than suffering through a library microfilm reader), user friendly...if they haven't done these CDs for the more current decades, they really should!

Good luck with your search - don't give up!

Yes Terraforma. When the 50's, 60's and 70's CD were published I saw their wonderful research possiblities they were and immediately added them to my personal Library. You're right. They are a gold mine of information. That's why I'm very interested in seeing the 80's, 90's and 2000's eventually getting published to CD's. I can only hope it'll happen some time in the future.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sherman (and all),

I know that CD quality images and text tend to be bandwidth-hogs to download. CDs as a data storage medium are a thing of the past, and DVD storage is headed that way. Blueray discs are a non-starter for data storage, and solid-state memory (flash memory) gets too expensive rather rapidly. I am not a great fan of cloud computing, as it requires an active internet connection in order to access data, but it is CONSIDERABLY less expensive to produce, manage, and maintain.

I would suggest an app-based approach. Data-code and store the images in a searchable .pdf database, then develop and provide smartphone and OS apps to access that database. The database itself is the MONSTER endeavor, but those old copies have to be digitized for ANY solution anyway.

As far as the app development, I'd start with iPhone (as the SDK is free of charge and iOS has the largest market share), but don't forget about android, Chrome, and MacOS apps as well. You will need all 4 for complete coverage. You could charge the nominal $0.99 for the apps. The app would allow unlimited viewing, but also have an in-app purchase-per-download option.

AND, while we are on the subject, is there any talk about having an electronic delivery option for CM or PMI? I don't subscribe to print magazines anymore because of the trash/recycling issue, but would INSTANTLY re-subscribe if I could get them on my iPad.

sorry about the double post.

@ AndyL: One of the most popular methods that are typically used in other forums when questions are being asked directly of the development team or the forum admins or mods is the BUMP. These are post replies that contain only the word BUMP in all-caps. It stands for Bring Up My Post. It is a simple way for the members to keep a post both alive, active, AND at the top of the forum page until the Moderators or Admins have had a chance to answer the question. Good etiquette will only BUMP a post once per calendar date, though other readers who are interested in reading the answer can BUMP a post as well.

It is always good form as well when a thread has been BUMPed for the original poster to mark a discussion that is complete with a post that simply says DEAD THREAD in all caps. This signals any other readers that that particular discussion thread should no longer be BUMPed.

BUMPing a dead thread is called NECROing a thread (because you are bringing it back from the dead), and is usually considered bad form UNLESS the person who NECROs that thread has NEW information on that topic that is directly related to the answer of the original poster's question...OR can legitimately call into question the answer given. Posts that contain important information that is referenced VERY frequently, or answers to questions that seem to be asked very frequently, but are not contained in the forum's FAQ, are typically made 'sticky' by the forum administrators. These posts always appear at the top of a discussion thread.

Guest Sherman

Kilndoc (and all),

There are continual discussions here regarding CM archival content and how best to deliver it. I appreciate your PDF database idea, because we are looking into getting everything at least into PDF format so we can then move toward various platforms for delivery. We do have a digital version of Ceramics Monthly and Pottery Making Illustrated, but alas, they are flash based flip books and so will not play on your iDevice. They are really only intended for desktop browser viewing. Here is a link to our March relaunch issue, which you do not need to sign in to view: http://media.ceramicartsdaily.org/ce_march11/ . All other issues require an active subscription and account number to sign in and view.

In terms of an archive, I tend to agree that CDs are somewhat outdated (not to mention limited in storage), but we will likely keep that option---or at least DVDs---open so that those interested in a "boxed set" can complete their collection.

I will certainly keep you all posted on our progress, which I understand can seem painfully slow. We want to get this right, so it is going to take some doing.

Thanks everyone,

Sherman

Sherman,

I look forward to the later decades of CM since I gave all my CMs to the studio at the University thinking that the hater decades were going to follow shortly. I have the 50's, 60's and 70's. March looks great. When you say one must be a subscriber, do you mean solely for the online editions or active subscriptions for the hard copies or would one subscribed to the digital versions?

Marcia

Guest Sherman

Marcia,

The digital version of the magazine is available for free to all active print subscribers. You will simply need to enter the account number from the address label on your issue---or you can find it online here using your delivery address: https://ceramicsmont...=CE&AN=&Zp=&PK=

All of the current year's issues are available online through our Back Issues page: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/ceramics-monthly/back-issues/

We currently don't have a digital-only subscription, but perhaps at some point we may get there (not sure the demand matches the investment required for an entirely separate production effort).

Sherman

Archived