Mixing up my glazes

I hoping someone can help.

Im a uni student and my subject include a range of materials including ceramics. I’m quite new to ceramics and don’t know much about it. I made a mistake of putting a stoneware glaze onto an earthenware pot and the kiln is only going up to 1060 degrees celcious, I’m wondering what will happen to my pots because of this.

thanks

Welcome to the Forum, Jessie!

Have the pots already gone into the kiln? If so, the stoneware glazes (probably ^5 or ^6) won't melt properly and you'll wind up with "test pots" that will tell you exactly what will happen in this situation. If they haven't gone into the kiln yet, wash the glaze off the pots and start over again with the proper glazes. How many pots are there and how long will it take you to remake them? Get started now and you may have time to salvage this assignment...

JohnnyK

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

Welcome to the Forum, Jessie!

Have the pots already gone into the kiln? If so, the stoneware glazes (probably ^5 or ^6) won't melt properly and you'll wind up with "test pots" that will tell you exactly what will happen in this situation. If they haven't gone into the kiln yet, wash the glaze off the pots and start over again with the proper glazes. How many pots are there and how long will it take you to remake them? Get started now and you may have time to salvage this assignment...

JohnnyK

yes, this is spot on advice

Archived