Glaze Suggestions

Hi all,

So I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a good satin mat, semi transparent, perhaps breaking over texture, glaze for this vase. Most of my glazes that I have mixed so far are opaque... none break over texture very well and I have some transparent greens, but they are boring... I thought I would paint on a Barnard wash then sponge it off leaving it in the textured areas, then I need a glaze that will be interesting and work with the texture. The clay is cone 6 white stoneware. I will be firing in my electric kiln.

Thanks!

-Mary :)1061847305_Vase2.jpg.01a2c5a774e3be95542d15d6eef7445b.jpg

Matte and satin matte glazes are less likely to move or break over edges. Glossy glazes are more likely to do that. You could dip the pot in a matte glaze, then lightly buff the glaze off of the edges after it dries. I’d make a few test pieces for practice before attempting it on the vase. 

I use only commercial glazes, so this may not interest you, but if you look at Amaco's site at their shino glazes, which come in matte and gloss, they break beautifully over texture.  There are 6 colors, I think, of each.

Matte glazes can break nice, but it depends on what type of matte it is. If it's matte because it's high in alumina, it's likely to be stiff and not break. If it's matte because of magnesium, then it can be fluid and break nicely. Ultimately it will take testing. If you're just looking for a little bit of glaze for that one pot, I'd search into the commercial glazes, which will have photos that show how they break.

13 hours ago, Pres said:

Try an Iron Red, or Waterfall, from the MC6 book.

best,

Pres

Thanks Pres, Yes, I do have waterfall mixed :) I don't think it's got any transparency but still, might break nicely over the texture.

6 hours ago, GEP said:

Matte and satin matte glazes are less likely to move or break over edges. Glossy glazes are more likely to do that. You could dip the pot in a matte glaze, then lightly buff the glaze off of the edges after it dries. I’d make a few test pieces for practice before attempting it on the vase. 

Thanks, I may try this.

5 hours ago, Gabby said:

I use only commercial glazes, so this may not interest you, but if you look at Amaco's site at their shino glazes, which come in matte and gloss, they break beautifully over texture.  There are 6 colors, I think, of each.

Yea, you are right... not into commercial glazes :) Thanks though!

4 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Matte glazes can break nice, but it depends on what type of matte it is. If it's matte because it's high in alumina, it's likely to be stiff and not break. If it's matte because of magnesium, then it can be fluid and break nicely. Ultimately it will take testing. If you're just looking for a little bit of glaze for that one pot, I'd search into the commercial glazes, which will have photos that show how they break.

Such good info. Thanks! :)

I had a thought to try doing the Barnard wash, sponging it off so it stays only in the texture and then glazing with a Jun glaze I mixed up which is a beautiful opalescent blue and I think it's got transparency so it may be an interesting combo. ... or a total flop :) Then I could also add waterfall brown around the neck and let it drip down a bit to find it's way around the texture. I really should do tests first, but I don't have the patience.

Archived