I finally got a Pyrometer! So exciting :) It arrived this afternoon and I stuck it through the peep hole to see if the kiln was cool enough to open from a bisque fire I did yesterday. The firing ended last night about 8:00pm. So it's over 24 hours later and it's still 500º! I most certainly would have cracked the lid by now if I didn't have the pyrometer. This kiln takes a LOoooong time to cool. It's an old electric Norman Kiln and the walls are 6" thick.

Can't wait to do the glaze firing and note the temps. The kiln has four dials in front so I can probably somewhat control the rise of temp to match whatever firing schedule I need. It'll just take some practice :)

I usually cool my L&L , 30-32 hrs. I place my hand at the peep, and if it gets too hot after a minute or so. I do not open the kiln. Remember, that slow cooling is paramount to glaze crystal growth. All too many times a glaze looks different from potter to potter, depending on their firing and cooling cycle. Better to cool and be patient, Keep your cool til the kiln is cool!

best,

Pres

it is so hard to wait for the kiln to cool that i usually arrange to have some kind of appointment out of the house on the day it is cooling.  because i single fire, my firings take 12-14 hours and cooling is 36 or more hours.  it usually goes off very late so i can't really see stuff until 2 days later.

Archived