Steven Hill Video

SShirley

Just an FYI...

I got the new Steven Hill video for Christmas and it is wonderful. Chock full of great information on spraying glazes. And he includes a pdf file of glaze recipes that he uses for cone 6 electric.

Love it! It's my new favorite thing.

Sylvia

It is a great dvd, Sylvia. Next best thing to going to one of his workshops. Worth the rather steep price, but customer service is awful. The first one I got was defective and I was shocked at the run-around I got instead of a replacement. I finally had to threaten to do a chargeback to get the defective $50 disk replaced.

Jim

Glad you're happy with it. Is there info in it that is other than his workshops? When was it produced ? I understand he is constantly changing his recepies and firing process.

I don't know about the material in the workshops, as I never got to attend one. And the disc and packaging don't say when it was produced.

Sylvia

It is a great dvd, Sylvia. Next best thing to going to one of his workshops. Worth the rather steep price, but customer service is awful. The first one I got was defective and I was shocked at the run-around I got instead of a replacement. I finally had to threaten to do a chargeback to get the defective $50 disk replaced.

Jim

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience. Mine arrived quickly and worked perfectly. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Sylvia

Our instructor is a huge Steven Hill fan and drops his name frequently.... like a lot of folks seem to do here with other artists they've met.rolleyes.gif

One of the advanced students in class is a perfectionist with his bowls/tossed work. If it isn't perfectly round/etc...he often tosses it in the trash (for others to snag and practice glazing on..LOL). Our instructor played a SH vid for us where he was making these huge, monolithic 'vases"....4-5 ft tall....lumpy and irregular...then glazing them to an almost camo-look with browns and greens and tan glazes he sprayed on...

I thought the >perfectionist< was gonna have a heart attack! SH slapped about 5 pounds of slip on the vase and it was dripping off and he was talking about the kinds of dips he was goin for/etc.... and I could see the guy just cringing and wretching in his chair. LOL.

For me....I love his glaze work.

it was also cool to go to his page and see that he has relocated to my hometown. Not sure why...the humidity there has to play havoc with clay..though in the summer you can easily sweat enough while tossing pots to not need a bowl of water nearby. (just kidding...but I could never fathom living in that heat/humidity again) Yuck. I hate that place.

Defintely a stop I will make if I ever make it back that way for a sweat.laugh.gif

EDIT: I got the vids mixed up. We did see a SH vid where he built huge floor-type vases....and then we saw the one linked below where he applies the slip thickly and it drips/etc. The vid below is the one that made my classmate groan. LOL

The video was produced in 2011; as far as his methods, the firing schedule he discusses does the fire-down hold at 1600 degrees. He mentions that he is constantly experimenting with his electric firing schedule and the 1600 deg. soak is down from earlier trials at 1900, 1800 and 1700.

Archived