Getting High Magnesium Glazes To Stick On Vertical Surfaces.

Nice piece.

I had no problems with it sticking. In fact, bonded pretty much like any other glaze. It does not crackle until you fire it, it is smooth during application. Works much better if you dip it. Just needed some Nerd Suspender is all. Let me test it a few more times, and will post the procedures.

Our students use crawl glazes on vertical surfaces all the time.  The work is lifesize and being made by 18-20-something year old undergrads with no prior ceramics experience...and usually once-fired to ^04

I've noticed the key to getting crawl glazes to stick is to water it down and build up the surface in layers...or spray it on.  We definitely use CMC gum, which helps as a binder, and trying to not mix the glaze too far in advance seems to help too.

The students have found many crawl recipes over the years but for the most part they're using: SDSU crawl, LW Lichen, 3rd Degree Burn and whatever experiments they choose to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried most of the suggestions that were offered. By far the most effective was the suspender that Glaze Nerd sent me. It works far better than the bentonite that I had been using.

Even with very thick layers of  Lalone Crawl, the glaze remained solidly fastened to the bisque and just developed the fine cracks that are necessary for the crawl.

I tried most of the suggestions that were offered. By far the most effective was the suspender that Glaze Nerd sent me. It works far better than the bentonite that I had been using.

Even with very thick layers of  Lalone Crawl, the glaze remained solidly fastened to the bisque and just developed the fine cracks that are necessary for the crawl.

Do we get the see the fired results?

I heard back from my friend. He said all he knows is that Yoshi used EPK, talc, magnesium carb, and zircopax, and that he never measured anything (at least not in a way that made it repeatable for anyone else). He was a 'scoop of this, pinch of that' kind of guy. I'm sure he knew what he needed and was measuring in his own way.

Archived