Housing An Electric Kiln Outdoors

dAO

Hello Collective Gurus

I am a hobby potter, newbie, and I live in Michigan.  My only option for a kiln is on an outdoor covered porch.  I can protect it from snow and rain.  Any insights into keeping it feeling well when it's not in use?  (Someone cautioned about covering it in plastic because moisture will corrode elements.  Not sure if this is valid or not.)  As always, thank you for the wealth of shared knowledge here.  

I kept mine outside in Billings, Mt. I put others inside a concrete shed in South Texas and there was still corrosion of the steel jackets. I think it really depends on the climate and atmosphere. I was close to the dump in Matamoros , Mexico. Lots of strange toxins in the air dissolved nylon in our garage, even in the house. Something corroded some bisque ware in my studio and shed. So it is hard to say. I think covering when not in use is a good idea. 

Marcia

I wonder if a dessicant inside the kiln would help keep the elements from corroding?

From Wikipedia: Although some desiccants are chemically inert, many are extremely reactive and require specialized handling techniques. The most common desiccant is silica, an otherwise inert, nontoxic, water-insoluble white solid. Tens of thousands of tons are produced annually for this purpose.[1] Other common desiccants include activated charcoal, calcium sulfate (Drierite),[2]calcium chloride, and molecular sieves (typically, zeolites).

It seems that a couple of these are common to ceramics and may serve a dual use....

JohnnyK

My friend who house sat for us got really sick while there. My husbands eyes deteriorated and he developed several autoimmune problems. I tried to be gone as much as possible.I gained a lot of weight there. I have lost 17 pounds since Dec. in Red Lodge just by being active. We are really happy to be out of there.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Marcia

Archived