Crater Slip

Yvanox

I've never seen anything like that, but there are a lot of things I've never seen (and a few I wish I could unsee...).  Two thoughts from other aspects of this business. A rough cratered claybody can be made by wedging in coarse organic materials that will burn out, like sawdust or rice. However, these coarse particles in a slip will make it difficult for trailing. The materials will clog the nozzle of your applicator unless you are trailing a wide stripe. Second, crater glazes are made with an overload of magnesium carbonate. Perhaps you can mix 10 or 15 percent by weight of mag carb into your slip. It probably won't begin to crater until the temperatures reached in the glaze firing. As I said, I've not tried either of these so you are on you own to test. Others may come along with better ideas...

Silicon carbide in all the crater glaze recipes I've seen, 5% and under, I haven't studied them much so could be more than that used also. I also would suggest try adding organics like Dick and Marcia suggested to the slip and using a large nozzle trailer. 

I have use corn meal in porcelain slip to produce 'craters' when fired.  It was applied with a brush or spatula.  If you used large sized needles from veterinarian syringes probably would work for semi-fine lines.  I got the idea from a book on Lucie Rie's work.  One of her signature series was a white clay body with pockmarks all over - supposedly due to rice added to the surface layer.

LT

Archived