Uneven Kiln Brick

Johnmicheal

I am in the process of rebuilding a skutt km1227, some of the brick had been previously replaced. In building the three main sections, I noticed they were uneven, leaving gaps between the brick. The newer brick were alittle bigger/taller than the old brick. Is there a way to index these surfaces together without ordering a bunch of new brick

You can sand them with an Long board wrapped with a sheet of sand paper the long ways.You could even glue the parer down to a long board-use say 80 to 100 grit paper. You go slow and even the tops out-then vacuum the dust-wear a mask.They need to be all the same height-soft brick sands really well.

Neil should weigh in with some other ideas as well-lets wait and see what the electric guru says I'm sure he has seen this before.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same issue.  Use a large sanding block so you get a more flush surface.  I called Skutt and asked their advice - they said to do that and the reason the originals are smaller is because THEY sand down the bricks too after they assemble.  They use a giant downdraft sanding table and move the entire kiln ring over it for sanding.

Archived