Lake Superior Agate, To Provide The Silica For Jun Glaze

Kaolinwasher

I just got done grinding up some lake superior agate to use in the recreation of a sung blue Celadon.  seems like the agate has a lot of Iron in it , I also milled it pretty fine 325+ mesh nice color to it . it will make up 45% of the glaze and God willing i can get some warm weather so i can fire it up  I also plan on testing some souix quartzite in the same amount to see which is better .  I can tell you its a pain in the but to get the stone broken down , and wearing a good dust mask is mandatory 

post-80534-0-45421700-1485393034_thumb.jpg

post-80534-0-45421700-1485393034_thumb.jpg

The reason it looks like that is  after milling i poor it into a 5 gallon bucked thru a 100 mesh screen  then let it settle, it settles out hard , then i scoop it out onto a pan to dry once it drys i put it in bags, it breaks down when mixing   trust me its super fine, when mixing glaze i always wet sieve ingredients thru a 100 mesh - ya it has Iron in it looks like 1% but i am not sure  will do some tests which it as soon as it gets into the 40,s

I have on glaze with the agate mixed up  1.5% bone ash that was milled in 3/8 to 1" quartz stones for 9 hr at 60 RPM G 200 feldspar 31% Talc 5.48%   aluminum oxide 600mesh 3.91%  milled lake superior agate 45% and micron size black iron oxide 1.5% as i feel the agate will not have all the Iron i need and Calcium carbonate 20%= so what i am trying to do is get the Ju celadon eutectic  of 69-70 silica  9.5 to 11% alumina  1.5 to 2% Iron and 4.3 KN and  11to 13% calcium and magnesium 1  to 2 %  fired in reduction to cone 8-9 just waiting for a day in the 40,s  lee i will let you know how it goes sometimes when i think sorting is going to be so great it turns out its not  but my guess is it has a good possibility of working out 

• 2 weeks later...

Well i finally did the test on the agate jun glaze , it did not work out like i wanted ,  its not blue like i would like and i know why  I used alumina oxide  to make up the alumina , and its just to refractory  all the test glazes that i used alumina oxide in looked junky   I think i need to lower the talk as well , maybe use dolomite and use more flux  but my anoka sand june looked lots better and that had no alumina oxide , i used grilling in that one  i will try again but i am starting to think silica is silica 

post-80534-0-71242500-1487119412_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is beautiful! Keep that recipe! You will appreciate it later but trying 

Grolleg will work too. You really will appreciate it later- put it in the kitchen or somewhere where you'll see it every day. By the way- that colour is one of the "in" shades this year according to my twenty something daughter.

Archived