Building A Backyard Stoneware Kiln

JT101

Hello everyone

I am a hobbyist potter and have been reading about medieval pottery.  Well I haven't even started making pottery yet, but I'm getting there.  Being interested in self sufficiency I have been focusing on harvesting and processing my own clay, and now looking towards building a stove for which I am trying to gleen some knowledge from medieval technology.

A wood fired all in one stove that could fire bricks, earthenware and stoneware would obviously be ideal, but maybe it's a little far fetched.

From reading a bit about pottery history I can see the Germans started making stoneware during Tudor times and selling it to us, so clearly they had kilns capable of say 1300C.  Has anyone come across these sorts of kilns?  They were based around Cologne, but a John Dwight from Fulham eventually copied the technology.  Their kilns may be a little large for my purposes.  I want to stick a real small version only say 3-4ft in width and height in my garden. 

They clearly didn't have factory fired refractory bricks or steel risers, so how did they do it and how can I apply it to my backyard stove?

Many thanks from London

Archived