Why Pine Needles In Copper Alcohol Reduction

I've purchased the Alternative Kilns and Firing Techniques book and I want to refire some ware originally done in a workshop, using the alcohol reduction method. The original firing was just copper fuming.

In the instructions the author says to add pine needles prior to covering the ware.  Why pine needles?  I can't get dry needles because it's been raining so does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative?

Thanks.

Have a good day.

Andrea

Andrea:

Alky reduction is used extensively in the crystalline glaze community: very common. Run the kiln up to 1350F, and do a slow drip from 20-40 minutes pending the colorant effect you are after. The Alky drip effects metallic oxides primarily: copper and iron: but it will also turn high titanium glazes purple. I have to "assume" the pine needles are for forming some kind of carbon footprint.

That said: an alky drip is a dangerous adventure for someone who has never done it. It can (and has) flash backed many times on those who have tried it. My recommendation would be to walk away from this one.

Nerd

You can dry your pine needles in a covered dish in the oven . . . use low temperature and go slow; even leave them inside the house overnight might be enough.  Pine trees/needles are acidic (not alkaline) . . . but not sure how that affects the firing.  But, when someone who is recognized for a particular style/type of work says, "Use pine needles" it is usually because they found through trial and error that pine needles work better than other combustibles. 

You might want to start with some smaller test pieces . . . it seems this method takes some trial and error with respect to spraying the alcohol solution, adding oxygen, etc. And, fire safely -- and be patient for the process to do its thing. 

A couple years ago I met a colonial potter who also make smoking pipes from a gray earthenware clay. She fires them in her camp fire. On one visit she was fixing to fire some pipes and had a couple of green branches of pine needles. I offered to get some drier needles but she told me that green needles give her pipes the purple and reds she likes, (and customers too)!! How can you argue with success? The purples I saw on her pipes was identical to the neck of the vase.

Try your raku without the alcohol, but with different evergreen leaves to if the effects change..

Alabama

"neilestrick" post=]Serious lack of safety equipment there. Especially for a guy with that much hair on his face. How come whenever I see a raku video no one is wearing the proper safety gear?!?!?

I agree! You can never be too cautious, especially during a demonstration.

There was once a "friend" who was always building fires for his primitive pottery.

One day his cotton jeans caught fire and he burned his hands putting out his clothes. Wasn't any water around, since he was obviously over confident. The flames stopped at my calf and my "friend" had to buy new jeans!!! :)

Alabama

Archived