Weeping Is So Sad

What?

There is a holiday ceramic sale in our pottery community. I have been asked to participate a couple times. I have responded in the past with a typical no. There are twenty five spots this year. So I finally said oh what the hell. Better than throwing the stuff away. Well I rounded up 40 or so nice bottles and vases I have made and glazed over the last couple months. Filled them with water and set them on paper. Half are weeping; not bad but a touch damp a day later. These are Laguna and Aardvark B-mix/Bee-mix cone ten bodies fired to cone ten gas reduction. Several different types of glazes across 4 different firings. Wow I can't hardly believe it. Even the ones that didn't weep I can not comfortably sell. Some said sell them for decoration only. Who is really going to fill a whiskey/bourbon bottle with anything I was asked. That's just the point you don't know. Well I was thinking about switching clay bodies anyways Coleman's porcelain here we come. Thank God this is a hobby for me I would have to test, and trouble shoot problems. Still sucks to have to throw them out and to the person who could have been in my spot. I can only imagine the panic and disappointment from those who make their livelihood from clay and encounter setbacks and even lawsuits. A lesson for the hobbyist. Now what to do about the other 40 or so bottles that are bisqued?

I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried refiring some of them to about a cone cooler than you fired before? The extra heatwork might be enough to tighten them up enough to not weep. I did this once with a ^6 clay and it worked, don't know if it might with your clays.

I have a hobby potter friend who had this same issue-except he had only fired a cone 10 interior glaze to cone 9 and it never fluxed well enough with Lagunas B mix.

Sorry for this news. Good luck with the Porcelain.

I'll be in your area in two weeks at one of my last AZ trips.

I have had a few setbacks myself over my carreer -just keep your head up and move on thru this. New clay new day.

I have been fortunate not to have this problem. I fired to 66 reduction but with a stoneware the matured at that temperature. In the past 16 years I have used Frost, Nara ^6 and Armadillos clays. No weeping. Sorry to hear that Bee-mix weeps. It is a popular clay from what I read on posting.

Marcia

Thanks Min. I read your issue a few years back on this. I will refire a few and see what happens.

Mark that maybe the issue but last week I broke one of the seconds open to inspect the glaze and I saw no crazing or pinholes it looked tight but that might not be the case.

Marcia I might grab a bag of frost. I have made little flowers out of this. Does the frost collar well?

Archived