Plates Lifting During Drying

This is a two part question.

I've not made many dinner plates, but have a set of four drying currently that I have trimmed. I have quite a damp studio/ garage so things dry slow. During drying some of my plates lifted in the centre. I've now put some weights on them to counter this. These ones have flat bottoms - no footring. I've had the problem before.

So firstly is this lifting of plates common, if so how do you avoid it? Maybe it's the way I have trimmed them.

And secondly do you think footrings are better than flat bottoms - may this be the cause? If I trimmed footrings without any nubbin / centre support I wouldnt be able to weigh them down to prevent lifting really. Otherwise the weight would push the centre area I would need to leave free for glaze onto the shelf...

Yes I think flat bottoms are helping warp them.

I have some questions ? what diameter are these plates and what was the weight you started with (like 5#s of clay for example)

What was you bat material and did you wire them off right after throwing or later?stoneware or porcelain?

I just threw a bunch of plates that where on plastic bats. 11.3 inches wide (these fire to 10 inch)-cut them right away-started with #6 lbs of clay.

flipped them as soon as I could and trimmed them when they where ready. Dried them right side top no weights and they are fine. (porcelain )

I trim out a foot and leave a small nubbin in center (I have a post with photos on plates a year or two ago)

They were thrown to 30cm diameter from 2kg lumps, the bottoms are as flat as I could make, around 1cm deep thrown. I cut them from bat straight after throwing, then trimmed a little off bottom leaving about 0.5cm thickness. They are stoneware.

The bats are plywood, about half inch thick. I have seen your plates during reading about this - very nice.

Most common plate mistakes are 

not using enough clay to start with

to thin bottoms

to thin lips

I converted your metrics 30cm+11.8 inch wide using 2kg=4.4Lbs of clay

my guess is you are using way to little clay for a 30 cm plate

I never cover anything right after throwing but I get back to it when its ready as thats my full time job.

what I do is place pots  up or down in shop as the warmth is higher up and the cool is lower thats how I control doing in winter.

I always want the stuff done sooner than later so covering only slows me down.

I do cover handled forms right after attaching handles for 1 night to equalize moisture.This safes cracking on porcelain but stoneware is so bullet proof no need for that.

I make a lot of trays this time of year.  Many of them have flat bottoms.  I have bags of rice that I place in the center while they are drying.  I live in a fairly dry climate so I do cover them for a couple of days, but then start easing the plastic off.  For me, unless I trim a foot on a plate, the bags of rice, help keep things flat.

Roberta

I make lots of pie plates with untrimmed flat bottoms. They rarely lift but my climate is dry only 5 months of the year.I keep the humidly at around 50-60% in winter with the gas heater going.

I think getting the plates turned over as soon as you can then drying them right side up after any trimming along with even wall thickness is key . Or at least it works for me. If the bottoms are thin they can bow up. Getting them even wall thickness is a key point,

I have plenty of space so the bottom can be glazed (makes them stronger) at least a 1/4 inch of space under the foot for glaze.

I have not cut a plate in 1/2 in decades so I cannot say on thickness.I used to make my plates very thin and they did not hold up (broke easy)-now that are made thicker to last.

I am still using plates I made in the 70's on a daily basis.

The plate ,bowl or cup should all have a wall thickness thats the same everywhere. That is the goal for the best work.

There is a big difference in the way various climates affect drying. In Montana I could throw , trim and pull handle for mugs in one day. In Southern Ill. I had to wait 4-5 days before the clay was stiff enough to trim. Since I use A/C in Brownsville, I can control the drying with tupperware containers over the pots.So you'll have to add that equation into your drying system.

Marcia

Ok thanks Marcia and Marc. My studio is an old external garage with no insulation, and ground level halfway up the walls on two sides. It's damp even in summer. I need to take ware in the house to dry fully. Since I only manage to do a couple of hours every other evening its actually not too bad having slow drying.

Archived